PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket airfilter question

treadway47025
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
I just got a 2006 450er and want to add a uni filter. is the off the shelf uni filter what I should get or is there another uni kit? I know their is a pro flow kit with a metal adapter or something... please help. can get the uni filter itself for 25.00 at my dealer

DirtDevilBT
04-03-2007, 11:16 PM
just get one with the right diameter and size to fit in the airbox.

450ERRRRRR!
04-04-2007, 06:04 AM
Get the Pro design. With it's billitt intake there is no question if it's sealed tight and going to stay on. It comes with the uni filter plus an outer warp. Cant go wrong it. Got them on all my quads.

treadway47025
04-04-2007, 06:20 AM
are the replacement filters for the pro flow flange the same as the standard uni filter for the trx450er(r)?

450ERRRRRR!
04-04-2007, 06:30 AM
No there not. Here's a link to some pic's.
http://www.duncanracing.com/prods/PD-246/

Ty's400
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Just buying a UNI filter for your 06 will be fine. They come with a different cage that goes inside them to help them stay on. I used them on my old 400ex and my buddy uses them on his 450R and we never have had a problem.

Lonestar_R
04-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Ty's400 is right I just bought 2 UNI's last week and they come with a cage that slides inside the filter and then the cage slides inside the intake tube and the filter slides on the outside of the tube. I am not going to use the cages because I already have a sparks billet ring that come with the sparks filter kit. by the way this is all for an 06

DirtDevilBT
04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
I've been using my standard UNI without a billet ring for over 2.5 years now, no problems to report. I'm not saying don't get the ring, just saying you don't have to. I have a Pro Design on my family's warrior to make it into a clamp on style. Very nice piece, the holes didn't line up very well though, but worked out. The cage makes the difference on the UNI's though, I don't think K&N's have those. IMO

IMO(2) Don't get an outterwears that goes directly on the UNI, it will clog it quicker. If you get an outterwear, get the one that covers the airbox where the lid normally goes. That way it doesn't get oil on it but still works to filter out the larger particles before they get to the filter.

treadway47025
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I think I will go with the standard uni. at the price of an oem replacement uni compare to the pro flow kit I can get 2 uni's so I can have a spare to use while my other dries when cleaning or if I get it wet by some chance. IDK though.. guess we will see. any one have more pics of the uni regular and uni pro flow?? THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE REPLIES AND HELP

Lonestar_R
04-05-2007, 10:42 AM
FYI...the Sparks Billet ring is different than the Pro Design....when I bought the Sparks Filter I didn't know the UNI had the Screen/Ring with it or I would have bought it...But I got mine when the 06's had just come out

DirtDevilBT
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
yep, without the cages I'd say get the ring for sure! But my family's warrior with the pro design has a small cage in it. Not for mounting but just to keep the filter round. My 450r uses a cage for mounting and keeping the filter round. I think that's something that's forgotten, if the filter gets out of shape it will not breathe as easy or might even fall off. Some people take the cages out and thats ok, but be warned. Besides, the cage doesn't hurt HP or anything.

the cage is ur friend:D