PDA

View Full Version : What are the best affordable mods to the lt80?

jonboy
04-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Hey all, I just got an 89 LT80 for my nephew for $100. ( the guy told me $100 and get it out of his garage today and its mine) I'm new to this quad so any help will be greatly appreciated. Well it needed a battery first off, runs but rough, but I know it needs a good carb cleaning and a good tune up. It sat for a while. I would like to know some of the best affordable mods that can be done to this lil booger. Would it be worth removing the oil injection system and going with a premix. Do I need to rejet? I've heard that these are rich from the factory. If so what sizes? I know I definatley want him to have a headlight, so I am already pricing them. Would I need to upgrade the electrical system for the light?Ive found some stuff at JL ATV like widening kits and misc stuff. How well is his stuff built? Any parts from other minis swap to this thing to help performance? He wants a green fourwheeler just like his uncle Jon(he's my lil buddy) so, will the KFX80 plastics bolt on? Sorry for the long post. I'm just looking for answers and know you guy have them. Thanks.

rhinorick
04-03-2007, 08:18 PM
we have the jl hood light it works fine with the stock electrical system . also have the jl frount end it works great for the $. I would get new reeds and clutch rollers for it there cheep . also a new piston with any used bike is a good thing. and shave the head when you get the new piston and it should run good

jonboy
04-07-2007, 03:42 PM
How much should the head be shaved? What is a good brand of piston? Or should I go back with a stock one? Aftermarkets are usually lighter arent they?

LT80
04-08-2007, 09:11 AM
KFX plastic will bolt right up.
ATVracing1.com has a light, ricky stator also..
NO, other mini stuff don't bolt on.
90 main jet (down from 92.5)
.030 off the head.
ZUKI PISTONS!! (till 51.5mm)..I agree, might as well freshen the top end up.
Yes, ditch the injection. Remove the side cover and remove the lil black piece on the end of the crank. It drives the pump.
Torco GP-7 or Klotz R-50 are my 2 favorite oils..32:1

Performance::Some pipes help, don't waste you money on a 20mm carb.
Porting and clutchs to match is the way to go but you better let the rider get some seat time first.

jonboy
04-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Hey, thanks for the info. Im sure I'll be speaking to you in the future.:)