PDA

View Full Version : new mods, need jetting help

400exMO
04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
My old setup was hmf slipon, K@N w/ outerwear, airbox lid and choke still installed with a 160 main and 42 pilot.

I have since removed the choke in my stock carb, taken off the airbox lid and plugged the snorkle hole. I'm wondering what I should try now as jetting. Elevation is around 1500ft with temperatures around 70F.

Honda#4
04-02-2007, 06:59 PM
try a 165 main with the 42 pilot.

400exMO
04-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I also forgot to state, my jetting was off to begin with. I am by no means a jetting beginner so I never wanted to deal with the headache of getting it right.

GPracer2500
04-03-2007, 03:17 AM
What's missing is any discription of how the quad is currently running. The better you can describe what he quad is actually doing, the better the advice someone can give about which direction the jetting may need to go.

Sounds like Honda#4's suggestion is a fine place to start. From there you'll need to do some testing to see how the engine behaves. If it seems to run fine and you're satisfied with the performance, then great--call it good and move on. But if you want some level of assurance that you're not leaving performance on the table: it's time to put together a game plan, block out some time, and start testing different jetting.

You said, "...what I should try..." which is a great sign as far as I'm concerned. It leads me to believe that what you may be looking for is a starting point from which you can find the best (or at least better) specs through experimentation. On the other hand (lol), you said "...headache of getting it right..." In my opinion, the answer to that sentiment is having a game plan. If finding the right jetting is a mish-mash of haphazard changes where you're never really sure what you're looking for while your testing, then yeah, it IS a headache. But if you go into it armed with certain bits of information then it's all a lot less daunting.

Honda#4
04-03-2007, 08:38 AM
That would really help me out if you could tell me how it's currently running. But like I said try what I told you.

Don't feel bad about jetting, I once was in your shoes too but after I read a million jetting threads it was quite easy for me, just make sure you take your time and know what your doing and have a positive attitude while your doing it. If your getting frustrated just drop everything and go do something else untill your mind clears.

Basically just go have fun.

400exMO
04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
I will tell you guys how it's running once I receive my clutch cable, which should be in the next couple days. Thanks.