PDA

View Full Version : truck exaust question

elementryder
04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
which muffler would be louder a summit glassback or flowmaster super 40 serise? also would it be louder to run duals with dual mufflers or just a singlr with single muffler..this is going on a 04 ford explorer with 4.6 v8..anny other suggestions appreciated

gotwarrior
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
IMO... I would run the flow master with the duals... It should sound good... I think you will have a better tone with the duals

NacsMXer
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
As far as "louder" the glasspack wins that category because it is essentially a straight pipe with fiberglass packing.

Glasspacks sound like crap IMO compared to a good muffler. Too much of a pop/farty sound vs. a nice deep rumble. Especially on the 4.6 modular V8, I would go with the Flowmaster hands down.

If you used the exact same mufflers, the system with two mufflers will be louder/deeper than the system with only one muffler. Same goes for a single in/single out muffler vs. a single in/dual out muffler...the dual out system will be louder.

That Explorer also has 4 catalytic converters like many other Ford vehicles and that is the biggest cork in the system as far as sound goes. Later down the road you can switch out the 4 factory cats for 2 hi flow units. It's like night and day.

elementryder
04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
can i take 2 of the cats out and be leagal?..ok so it sound like it will be 2 hi-flow cat and 2 super 40 serise in 2.5" dose the size sound good i herd you dont want to go much moer than 2.5" on the 4.6..also a true dual is you come off the exhaust manifold with a cat and then the muffler and go out where ever you want on both sides right?

NacsMXer
04-02-2007, 04:28 PM
It is technically illegal to mess with your cats until your vehicle is like 8 years old/80,000 miles or something like that. This is why I said later down the road. Most exhaust shops are weary to mess with them because it is a federal offense if you are caught. Still, if you can find a shop to install them for you, the hi flow cats will still be filtering emissions. Your main concern will be not having your check engine light come on, if it is on, you will fail emissions tests. There are ways around that like installing the cats the proper distance from the o2 sensors or even mil eliminators if you have to.

For the muffler 2.5" is the biggest you want to go, any bigger and you will loose some serious backpressure/low end. Same goes for true duals (2 mufflers each on their own pipe all the way up to the exhaust manifolds). You get the best sound but sacrifice low end with those. You can also do a single muffler with one inlet/dual outlet as a good compromise its all up to what you want.

gotwarrior
04-02-2007, 04:52 PM
you will get a little more power if you take you cat off.. You just have to find someone to do it.. I like glasspacks but IMO wouldn't but them on a Explorer

hawaiikfx400
04-02-2007, 05:09 PM
i had flows on my v6 tacoma sounded great low grawl that wasnt loud and anoyining after a few mounths.it made it sound like a v8,thats what i would get personally.

atvRiDa400ex
04-02-2007, 05:37 PM
i have a flowmasters on my 97 f150 with a single muffler...its a v6 and it sounds like a v8!!:devil:

i say flowmasters!!

elementryder
04-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
It is technically illegal to mess with your cats until your vehicle is like 8 years old/80,000 miles or something like that. This is why I said later down the road. Most exhaust shops are weary to mess with them because it is a federal offense if you are caught. Still, if you can find a shop to install them for you, the hi flow cats will still be filtering emissions. Your main concern will be not having your check engine light come on, if it is on, you will fail emissions tests. There are ways around that like installing the cats the proper distance from the o2 sensors or even mil eliminators if you have to.

For the muffler 2.5" is the biggest you want to go, any bigger and you will loose some serious backpressure/low end. Same goes for true duals (2 mufflers each on their own pipe all the way up to the exhaust manifolds). You get the best sound but sacrifice low end with those. You can also do a single muffler with one inlet/dual outlet as a good compromise its all up to what you want.

well im planing on installing them myself....do you think they will chech to see if all 4 are there?would it be ok if i got like 4 hi flow cats wich sounds gay to me but it has to be leagal any other suggestions? how far away dose the 02 sensor have to be away so it dont come on?

elementryder
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer

well im planing on installing them myself....do you think they will chech to see if all 4 are there?would it be ok if i got like 4 hi flow cats wich sounds gay to me but it has to be leagal any other suggestions? how far away dose the 02 sensor have to be away so it dont come on?

mr._bowtie
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
How strict they are on emissions depends greatly on where you live. If you have to have your vehicle inspected every year then do not mess with the cats. If not then go for it nobody will find out. Ive run 2 cars without em totaling about 5 years of driving and never had any trouble at all. But my area of the country might be different then yours.

As for what setup I would go with personally. If you can get away with it I would delete 2 of the cats, then do a single in dual out flowmaster super 40 series muffler. Thats going to give ya the cleanest, least annoying sound. I think youd be pretty happy with that unless you are just wanting to be as loud as possible... And think you can always add a cutout to that system for the wideopen sound.

elementryder
04-02-2007, 08:44 PM
i live in pa and we have to get inspection every year so idk..would it still be safe to put 4 hi-flow cats on?

TXATVRIDER
04-03-2007, 02:00 AM
I always use Flowmasters with Turndowns.

mr._bowtie
04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by elementryder
i live in pa and we have to get inspection every year so idk..would it still be safe to put 4 hi-flow cats on?

I dont know if youll pass your emissions test with 4 hi-flow cats or not. I would find a place that sells high flow cats and call them. Im also not very familiar with moding those little fords, so I dont know what can be gotten away with.

Techincally that should be fine but if they use the sniffer on your truck and it fails then youll have wasted several hundred bucks worth of hi flow cats.