PDA

View Full Version : Stock a arms with aftermarket shocks?

esr250r86
04-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi, I was wondering if it would be ok to run stock a arms with aftermarket shocks that are stock length. I am planning on running works shocks with a remote resevoir on my stock trx450r a arms until I can save up and buy some long travel. Any help would be appreciated.

Flynbryan19
04-02-2007, 03:03 PM
You can run standard travel shocks on stock a-arms. I would not run long travel shocks on stock a-arms. They will work very poorly and may even be a saftey concern. If your going to run long travel just wait and save up the dough till you can buy it all at once.

wilkin250r
04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
All standard travel shocks are the same length, and bolt up the same, including stock.

For example If you have +2 a-arms, the stock shocks will "fit" just fine. They won't work quite as well, they become real soft and bottom out very easily, but they certainly fit.

The reverse is obviously true. If you have aftermarket shocks, they will fit on stock a-arms, and actually WILL give you a performance gain.

The difference is obviously the shock setup. Although the shocks are exactly the same size and fit, the internal valving is different depending on the length of the a-arms.

Long Travel shocks are different in both respects. They are actually longer, and bolt up at a different location than stock. So you must get LT shocks and LT a-arms together. You cannot put LT shocks on stock arms, and you cannot put stock-length shocks on LT arms.

400exrider707
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
All standard travel shocks are the same length, and bolt up the same, including stock.

For example If you have +2 a-arms, the stock shocks will "fit" just fine. They won't work quite as well, they become real soft and bottom out very easily, but they certainly fit.

The reverse is obviously true. If you have aftermarket shocks, they will fit on stock a-arms, and actually WILL give you a performance gain.

The difference is obviously the shock setup. Although the shocks are exactly the same size and fit, the internal valving is different depending on the length of the a-arms.

Long Travel shocks are different in both respects. They are actually longer, and bolt up at a different location than stock. So you must get LT shocks and LT a-arms together. You cannot put LT shocks on stock arms, and you cannot put stock-length shocks on LT arms.

and to add to this, not all LT shocks are the same length, and in most cases it is best to buy the shock and arms from one place so that they are correctly built for the arm specifically.

esr250r86
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Ok,thanks alot.:)