PDA

View Full Version : Broken exhaust stud

zack221
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM
How can you get a broken exhaust stud out?I have a bolt extractor,would that work?I also have a tap and die set I am going to try and thread the stud in it now because i broke the threads off.But if i get it threaded im not sure that i can do the 2 nut trick because im not sure if it sticks out long enough.I dont have access to a welder even though my brothers a welder he still cant take it to work and weld on a nut.So is there any ideas that you all have to get it out?

bwamos
04-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Not sure if the 400ex is similar to the 300ex or not.

But, on the 300ex the exhaust bolt was threaded on both ends so it is jsut threaded into the head. A bolt extractor should work. May wan't to squirt some anti sieze lube on the bolt and let it soak/seep in. Could help it break loose a little easier.

If I remember right the 300ex bolt was also right handed threaded on both ends.. so no reverse thread issues.

jayrodau
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by zack221
How can you get a broken exhaust stud out?I have a bolt extractor,would that work?I also have a tap and die set I am going to try and thread the stud in it now because i broke the threads off.But if i get it threaded im not sure that i can do the 2 nut trick because im not sure if it sticks out long enough.I dont have access to a welder even though my brothers a welder he still cant take it to work and weld on a nut.So is there any ideas that you all have to get it out?

Were you able to get the stud out? I know its been awhile but I just ran into the same issue.

speedracer350X
01-12-2010, 03:42 AM
years ago I did the same thing on my ATC 350X, back around 2000/2001 when I had it re-built. Had to take the head assembly to a mchine shop and they actually drilled it out for me. Keep in mind that it was a 16 year old machine at the time also. Good luck!!

jayrodau
01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
wow....thats not what I wanted to hear.

Smoker
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Magic vise grips. Anyone that welds would weld it for like $2 bucks, it's the best way in my opinion, the heat from the weld helps it to come loose also.