PDA

View Full Version : Too much Oil on Uni causes FALIURE

450ERRRRRR!
04-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey guys, I took this junk K&N off and was oiling up my new Uni with it's outwear cover. I put way to much oil and should have just let it sit for a couple of days. I went to start it the next day and a lot of the filter oil had setteled to the bottom. It started ok but once I bliped the throttle a few times it sucked up a bunch of oil into the carb. I could just get going and then it would die.
It cost me my whole sunday afternoon to pull the carb and clean it out. I took out the jets and you could plainly see the holes in the jets were gummed up. Once I cleaned her out and put it back together it starts better than ever. If your going to really put on the oil on your uni I suggest waiting a day or so before installing.

GPracer2500
04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Just so you know: you're suppose to squeeze out excess oil from foam filters. It's practically impossible to squeeze out too much. If you squeeze your filter and there's still oil running out, it's still over-oiled.

1) Coat filter with oil
2) Kneed filter to get the oil everywere throughout the foam
3) Squeeze out all excess oil
4) Let filter sit for about 20 minutes
5) Ride!

atvrulz
04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I think this might be my problem.
Mine starts and then dies right away.
Good Post!

esr250r86
04-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Just so you know: you're suppose to squeeze out excess oil from foam filters. It's practically impossible to squeeze out too much. If you squeeze your filter and there's still oil running out, it's still over-oiled.

1) Coat filter with oil
2) Kneed filter to get the oil everywere throughout the foam
3) Squeeze out all excess oil
4) Let filter sit for about 20 minutes
5) Ride! Thats what I usually do.

Live2Ride300
04-02-2007, 03:06 PM
That's what I do. I usually put the filter in a plastic bag then pour or spray the oil in the bag and need it inside the bag. Saves the oil too!

rlplive
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Are you guys using the uni spray oil, or are you just using oil out of a bottle?

400exrider707
04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by rlplive
Are you guys using the uni spray oil, or are you just using oil out of a bottle?

I used to use bel ray oil that came in a bottle and found that I was over-oiling any way I tried that. I went to a spray and its working out much better for me. I've always used the PJ1 stuff, but I got a free set of spectro oil and cleaner for filters from one of the tracks and I love this stuff!

yamadjs08
04-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
That's what I do. I usually put the filter in a plastic bag then pour or spray the oil in the bag and need it inside the bag. Saves the oil too! That's exactly what I do, works great and there is no mess!:cool:

rlplive
04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I used to use bel ray oil that came in a bottle and found that I was over-oiling any way I tried that. I went to a spray and its working out much better for me. I've always used the PJ1 stuff, but I got a free set of spectro oil and cleaner for filters from one of the tracks and I love this stuff!
Yeah I used the uni spray oil and it worked out great

ShiftFMX
04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
After I clean it, I let it dry, Spray it with PJ1, kneed it in to the filter, wait a few minutes...RIDE!

mustangflyboy
04-02-2007, 11:04 PM
NO-TOIL spray oil and NO-TOIL cleaner. Both work great. Never had a grain of sand in my intake. The cleaner works WAY better/faster than anything else I tried.

GIXXER1KR
04-03-2007, 06:39 AM
I use a K%N and an outerwear.With adequate changes i have never had a problem with the K%N!!!:D

450ERRRRRR!
04-03-2007, 06:56 AM
I was using Bel-Ray in a bottle. It's a lot more runnie than the Uni oil in a spray can. I'm going back to the uni spray. Rode her today and all is well.

ss440ex
04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by mustangflyboy
NO-TOIL spray oil and NO-TOIL cleaner. Both work great. Never had a grain of sand in my intake. The cleaner works WAY better/faster than anything else I tried.

Great stuff!!!

DirtDevilBT
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
rubber gloves! grab a box of cheap rubber gloves. put the oil on, push it around with your hands and get in all around. Then put the filter on and throw the gloves away.

I have PJ1, UNI, and Spectro filter oil

Spectro is by FARRRRRRR the best filter oil out of the three.
http://spectro-oils.com/SXFILTEROIL.jpg

400exrider707
04-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
rubber gloves! grap a box of cheap rubber gloves. put the oil on, push it around with your hands and get in all around. The put the filter on and throw the gloves away.

I have PJ1, UNI, and Spectro filter oil

Spectro is by FARRRRRRR the best filter oil out of the three.
http://spectro-oils.com/SXFILTEROIL.jpg

agreed!

Chino886
04-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Maxima Fab1

ratso
04-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I use uni spray and lightly coat outside and inside. I then wait about 10 minutes and spray again. A 5 1/2 oz uni bottle lasts about 4 to 5 services. I never squeeze out filter.

DirtDevilBT
04-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by ratso
I use uni spray and lightly coat outside and inside. I then wait about 10 minutes and spray again. A 5 1/2 oz uni bottle lasts about 4 to 5 services. I never squeeze out filter.

Well, you can do it whatever way you choose. I recommend massaging the oil into the filter material. Not so much "squeezing" oil out, cause that would be a lot of oil, but just mashing it into the foam. I also don't recommend putting it on the inside. I used to do that too, until I kept finding my intake port slightly covered with red oil. That was prolly my fault, maybe not, but if you simply put it on the outside and mash it in, making sure all of the filter is covered, will will get deeper into the materail and cover all edges. Plus, messaging it in with ur hands will use less oil and make that can last even longer.

IMO:D only

fatkid400
04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm surprised nobody else does it this way.When I oil my filter(uni) I use the bag it comes in.I take the filter out turn the bag in side out keeping my hand in side the bag,spray the bag pretty heavy with oil then put the filter in my hand, (the 1 in side the bag) With my other hand,I pull the bag over the filter(the bag is now out side out again). Rube the filter in the bag to "smear" The oil on and spread it evenly over the entire filter.Gives a good coating of oil and you wont put to much on and you keep the sticky oil off your hands and the wifes clean house....And out of the little ones hair...Dont ask...:D Real simple and neat. And like I said you cant put to much on but you still give it a good coating.Try it once, youll thank me later.

450rJam
04-08-2007, 06:27 AM
wish my garage was that well picked up.

correct me if im wrong but is that a "reserved for yamaha" parking sign ?

thats funny with the zuki and R in the shed

ratso
04-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I know their are many ways to oil the filter. I've tried them all and think they all work the same. I just spray it on because it is the cleanest less messy then squeezing it out. Once you fire up your atv blip the throttle maybe take a short spin the oil gets sucked deeper into the filter.

DirtDevilBT
04-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
wish my garage was that well picked up.

correct me if im wrong but is that a "reserved for yamaha" parking sign ?

thats funny with the zuki and R in the shed

:eek2: ahahahaha

450ERRRRRR!
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I just knew someone would notice that Reserved for Yamaha sign!
It's hard to keep them all in there right little space with such a little garage. Now I just bought a new riding lawn mower to put in there also. What is a man to do with all these machines?