stacks up aganist the 400 ex thanks guys I know this is
ex forum but I just want you alls point of veiw I know
how my raptor is just want some info on 400 ex because
I have heard so many bad things about raptor transmisson
that if if breaks I might be coming over to you alls side
anyway thanks!

The400exExorcist
10-24-2001, 08:23 PM
well I ride with a piped/filtered raptor(wb e-series/K&N) well my my mods are listed below..... well the 400ex handles alot better but for flat out raw power the raptor has real speed & bottom end but for the price difference you can build a 400ex to compete with a raptor(416 kit/cam) and you will beat one no problem.

Eric

3hondas
10-24-2001, 08:41 PM
1. Got a good friend with a stock 2001 raptor and he is a much better rider than I and damn near as fearless an individual as i've ever known. he pretty much kills me in every category.
2. Have another friend who is pretty much an expert rider, owns a polaris trailblazer 250 (bought for his wife - ridden by him). his neighbor is a woman with a stock 2001 raptor and when he rides the raptor...same results as item 1 above.
3. When the woman raptor owner (husky, tough and sorta manly) rides the trails, i must often wait for her in the more whooped out, technical sections, but she can remain in range on the fast straightaways.
4. I Ocasionally ride with 2 brothers around my age (35) in our only dry and open ride area (fast rough trails) and i can not only hang with one of the guys, but i can lose the other.

My conclusion...a raptor in the hands of an equal or better rider will pretty much dominate (assuming both bikes are stock and the yamaha is running) in all situations.

I personally feel that the reliability issues seem to be resolved with the raptor, but it is still young. We must wait to see how they are when around 3 to 4 years and older.
in my opinion, the overall quality of a raptor is weak when compared with a 400ex, noticable mostly in the airbox / filter area, and the "loose" feeling steering assembly (grab both grips and shake the bike while sitting on machine).

10-24-2001, 09:12 PM
I ride with a Raptor, but I have a XR200 that does 65, I'm not sure hwo I rank against a 400ex, but I bet they are a lil' bit faster and the Raptor kicks every one's ***!!!!:devil

86GN
10-24-2001, 10:25 PM
I ride with my Raptor friend, drag races he wins no prob. Trails and the track is up for grabs.
He has a few small problems:rolleyes: I have had none:cool: