PDA

View Full Version : Alky

DB 450R
04-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Any one who ran there R on methenol please offer me some help, Im thinking of trying it. I have a mikuni alky carb off a 250R micro sprint available with fuel pump for a start. But I dont want to reinvent the wheel allso so.

mfr422
04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Db 450r,
What type of info are you looking for ? do you have any experience with methanol? pm me and I'll send you my setup info. :D Lonny

fiveOnick
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Its not possible with a stock ignition, dont even waist your time and money trying it. Buy a CR ignition first.

kiesta00
04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking about switching to the dark side too lol. What type of riding do you do? You should have the motor ported for methanol, along with a new head design and most importantly ignition upgrades. What are the specs of your motor right now?

You also have to purge the motor of methanol with regular gas before you store the bike for any length of time. With carb tuning, you're on your own. Everyone I've talked to says to buy a carb that your engine builder/tuner is familiar with. Some people swear by lectron, some by keihin, some mikuni.

fiveOnick
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I think the most important part is a carb with a DMR power jet, its heads above the rest.

You dont have to have a motor ported specifically for alky. My motor has little more portwork than I would put on a MX setup and it rips. Its more than a handful in the trails and holds its own very well on the strip.

DB 450R
04-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Im in the middle of my build which is ESR 265 PV topend race fuel dome long rod, spacer plate 38MM mikuni TMX flatslide Not sure on reeds yet ESR or v force 3, I recently picked up what looks like 38mm tmx with fuel pump for methenol of a cr powered 265cc micro sprint racer and I thought it would kinda fun to set up on methenol. I ran metenol on briggs race engines but two strokes on alky are new to me. Where is any info on the DMR powerjet.
I know about purging and the corrosivness, water absorbing ect of alky

fiveOnick
04-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I wouldnt spend a ton of money on reeds if you plan on methanol. I am running a stock ported cage and TDR fiber reeds right now, with the alky I honestly cannot tell a difference between it an the VF2 I had on it. Im sure there would be some improvement but right now I would say other items are worth the money more on a alky motor.