PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

QuadJunkies
04-01-2007, 06:23 PM
WE have the new 07 DRX 90cc liquid cooled mini
This was our 1st real wk end to go out and test it,were having some issues that were not sure exactly what it is??

1st of all-OVERHEATING
The motor is completly STOCK

When doing a steep hillclimb, antifreeze starts pouring out of the overflow bottle, about 1/2 the coolant capacity is lost.
We have had backfiring noises like it was not being grounded enough,but all ground fires are fine AND we are running one extra.
And then it continues to sputter,not just a backfire, but a sputter...But jetting is right on the money.:confused: this has to be prol one of the most evenly colored plugs we have ever had.

We have went threw 2 gallons of coolant.
Of course we know there is ways to make it run cooler(water wetter,cooler plug) but this is obviously just going to mask the true problem.
We have 4 days until his 1st race on it and very little seat time .

thanks for any suggestions you may have :)

QuadJunkies
04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
On a positive note, the suspention was AWESOME!
Once we get it dialed in, I have no doubt it will make him a faster

he was pretty rusty today but he had alot of fun .
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/76513570.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/76513575.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/76513586.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/76513587.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/76513588.jpg

Nichols Atvs
04-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Didn't you just powder coat your frame. Maybe you didn't scrape off enough paint to ground it real well . Powder coat gets pretty thick

QuadJunkies
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Didn't you just powder coat your frame. Maybe you didn't scrape off enough paint to ground it real well . Powder coat gets pretty thick

Nope... Its good to go!
We have had that happen once before, so we dbl .checked that ;)
The antifreeze issue and overheating is bizarre :confused:

QuadJunkies
04-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I guess I should also mention, that it heated up VERY fast running a number plate on the front.Anyone else running a plate on the front with no issues?
We had to take it off,which did help some but is no where near being reasonable.

Now Im not sure where his number is supposed to go due to racing rules
The one on the rear doesnt fit right either with the pipe being there. .:confused:
Were about ready to find a new sport. We cant take anymore of this stress :o lol

If we dont figure things out by tomorrow, I guess Ill pick DRR's brain .

ecmini1
04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
We have sold 2 90cc 07 models and have had no problems in fact the lastest sold customer call me yesterday and thank us they picked up the machine Sat. and rode for 4 plus hrs, at a track sun. no problems.
We know on the apexs if you run a # plate on the frt they can over heat so that might be your problem.

Spider 171
04-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Don't own a liquid mini but have you checked to see if the coolant was circulating? Not totally sure what runs the water pump so see if it is working?

Or if it may have air in the system had a couple cars do that. Good Luck.

Also I remember on a couple of 250r's I had, the head gasket wasn't cut properly and wouldn't allow the coolant flow, causing one to overheat so whenever I changed gaskets I always checked to see if they allowed proper flow?

Hope this helps.

QuadJunkies
04-02-2007, 11:30 AM
1st thing we checked was for air in it so that wasnt it either

ecmini1~ that has intesified the problem but it not the problem itself.We could not go more than 2 laps w/o it overheating all day yesterday without any plates on. the plate only made it overheat faster.

I have not seen alot of the liquid cooled ones here yet so Im looking forward to taking and seeing others hopefully in the WORCS series that can give us some suggestions on ythis little ripper.

ecmini1
04-02-2007, 12:38 PM
You said you did use the bleeder to get the air out?

The water pump is driven off the same place the fan would bolt to. Now we had 1 70cc Apex that had no impeller this could be the issue with yours. Remove the 2 allen bolts on the water pump side and see if the water pump drive is attached to the crank shaft.If so you can split the pump to ck the impeller.

sldhd700
04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
I ve had my son out practicing on his 90 with no overheating problems we are running a fron t number plate. The one thing I did have a problem with was the overflow bottle leaking. The tube does nt fit the conection very tight and the connector going into the bottle isn t very tight. I used a zip tie on the tube and this seemed to help alot. Before that we would go through alot of coolant and had a major mess to clean up at the end of the day. Our dealer was out with us and he was going to talk with Lou about this issue. Good luck.

Shayden Housley #39

QuadJunkies
04-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by ecmini1
You said you did use the bleeder to get the air out?

The water pump is driven off the same place the fan would bolt to. Now we had 1 70cc Apex that had no impeller this could be the issue with yours. Remove the 2 allen bolts on the water pump side and see if the water pump drive is attached to the crank shaft.If so you can split the pump to ck the impeller.

There was no air in it .

Ill also ask him about this as well. he has tried everything Lou suggested but will go threw it all again .
One thing I do know is a freind of mine who wired his tether didnt like the voltage readings he was getting, so I do know they were going to redo the wiring and see how that goes.

I should have more info later today hopefully.
I appreciate everyones help! :)

ecmini1
04-02-2007, 05:44 PM
When we race we run about a inch of coolant in bottle on our Apexs and that stop the spillage for the most part. You dont have to run much coolant in them it will be fine.

bulldogfallon
04-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Great pics of your boy by the way!!!

The two tone color scheme looks sweet!!!

Got me thinking now!!!

raidernut
04-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Quadjunkies, look me up in idaho, and maybe i can help. we will be there with buddys new water cooled 70cc machine.

riding4fun
04-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Quadjunkies,

Sorry I can't help but I wanted to say nice pics.
I especially like the last picture, your son is looking directly at the camera. Looking good.

Darrell

AFROracing
04-02-2007, 11:58 PM
you stole my plastic idea.. :devil:
I was thinking of swapping plastics like that on the red and black machines we have. However, you got my favorite 2 colors!

How hot is this thing getting?

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by AFROracing
you stole my plastic idea.. :devil:
I was thinking of swapping plastics like that on the red and black machines we have. However, you got my favorite 2 colors!

How hot is this thing getting?
It got Bloody HOT! He didint even get 200 yards on a cold motorand it was hot.
Well...ecmini1 was right on the money on this one. After Troy opened things up he found the impellar(whatever that is lol) was broke,scored the cylinder. I think we have our culprit.
this came from the fatory defected Im guessing and is being warrentied. He hasnt even really rode it yet,but to be running hot straight out of the box made my hubby totoally mind boggled.
Is this a common thing with impellars? I think they got some pics of it as well.
I work nights so alot of what I am being told is over the phone,so I hope Im making sense. lol

ecmini1 -thank YOU so much too ,you was a HUGE help to us and Im greatful to so many great people on this site :)
:scary: :p
the parts were being shipped overnight so my boy wont miss his race.WHEW! Lets hope NOTHING else will go wrong or I sweear Im gonna have a melt down. LOL!
Thanks you sooooo much Lou and to our dealer for taking care if this promptly I didnt want to see his face when I told him he cant race his home track . :( He has been excited for 2 months over it.

One things for sure...
I think we will try a cooler plug. :p

I think were about to have a stroke!!
Theres got to be some relief insite for us soon .I hope as I seriously cant take too much more stress and especially my Husband. He works so hard to not dissapoint the kids and doesnt want to feel like he failed them . Hes very maticulous .So far its always paid off with our other minis .:)
One thing is for sure is it takes alot of the fun out of things when your constantly stressing and wrenching
:scary:
Lets hope this does the trick !!!.;)

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
Quadjunkies, look me up in idaho, and maybe i can help. we will be there with buddys new water cooled 70cc machine.
Sounds good! ;)

Thanks for the compliments. Eventually I want to cut the plastic and get a hood,seat cover and try and line up a Rockstar graphics kit- stuff like that.
My Son loves the Yellow/black scheme .I kinda wish we had the black on the back and yellow up front,but thats the way my son wanted it :)
You think a Black hood would look OK on black plastic?

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Quadjunkies,

Sorry I can't help but I wanted to say nice pics.
I especially like the last picture, your son is looking directly at the camera. Looking good.

Darrell
He tends to do that all the time..

Even racing :huh :o

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Here are some picture of the cylinder, piston, and water pump. The piston seized due to over heating of the cylinder.
As you can see there are two fins broken off the water pump impeller. The intake side of the piston seized as seen in the pictures of the cylinder and piston.

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:29 AM

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:29 AM

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:30 AM

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 01:31 AM

QuadJunkies

QuadJunkies

ecmini1
04-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Glad to help out, Im just glad you guys will be up and running soon and be able to rest also the kids will be able to have fun.

Thats what this sport is about helping others and having fun.

millertime13
04-03-2007, 07:09 AM
hey did you find the fins off the impeller?? i would check to make sure they are not plugging a hose or sitting in the top of the radiator.. i have seen a few skidoos do this..

Nichols Atvs
04-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Phew!!! glad you got that figuered out that was a little boggleing

QuadJunkies
04-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by millertime13
hey did you find the fins off the impeller?? i would check to make sure they are not plugging a hose or sitting in the top of the radiator.. i have seen a few skidoos do this..

Sure did. One piece was blocking fluids in the hose.I think he said he found some in the radiator as well.
SO as I dont know too much about this stuff but... Why do you think they chose this kind of materail for the impellars instead of maybe a metal of some kind?
Hopefully this was just a fluke.. Like Lou said,he thinks that it was someone puting a whammy on us( case of bad luck) lol
Enough whammys already-its time to have some FUN!:blah:

millertime13
04-04-2007, 06:55 AM
you know most of the ones i have seen do that was becuse something got in the system... once it was a small nut... and once it was like the top part of the riveit off the themostate.. when it hits the impaller it barkes a couple off... then one time a pices of metal got in there and wedged the impeller and it just stoped and striped the threads off it.. glad you found the problem..
good luck to your kids at the races...
can't wait to see you guys this summer at the dunes

QuadJunkies
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
hey thanks miller!:) How have you been?
So maybe the key is to get a stronger impellar . Troy is going to check into this down the road. But for now, Im goign to be ultra paranoid about something happening again . That could be an expensive habbit!:scary:

We are going to try and run it for a few laps at practice with a number plate and see how the temps goes. I think we will run temp stickers as well like we do on all the other quads
Right now the numer plate is up by the handlebars, which looks totally dumb, but I would rather have it look dumb than overheat again. lol

AFROracing
04-04-2007, 11:09 PM
QuadJunkies do the numbers have to be on a plate?
We just stuck 3" numbers above the headlight, not sure if it's legal for ya'll..

QuadJunkies
04-04-2007, 11:52 PM
QuadJunkies do the numbers have to be on a plate?
We just stuck 3" numbers above the headlight, not sure if it's legal for ya'll..
Yes they do need on a plate.
For the rear we put some heat tape on the plate and cut the tip off the pipe.
I didnt like that part anyhow . lol :p

I remember that being an issue last year on his Eton .
His bumper was a little tough to get a plate to fit on it securely..

Steven623
04-05-2007, 06:41 AM
I have a nice rear plate mounts that work very well.

millertime13
04-05-2007, 09:36 AM
i wouldn't worrie about about it... troy got it...you shouldn't have anymore problems....
we have been fine.. can't wait for you guys to come down agin to ride... let us know when you are coming agin

BradLoomis
04-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Tina,
Use some standard peg board as a template and drill holes threw your front number plate and do the same with the numbers once you put them on. You will be amazed at how big the holes can be and you can still read the number plate just fine.

QuadJunkies
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
Tina,
Use some standard peg board as a template and drill holes threw your front number plate and do the same with the numbers once you put them on. You will be amazed at how big the holes can be and you can still read the number plate just fine.
Thats a really good idea!Thanks Brad!

Will do Miller!:)

bulldogfallon
04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Had to try the two tone thing :)

Not sure if the red/black work....Maybe it will grow on me

http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/images/IMG_8582.jpg

Can you see the metal foot peg risers I added? They add about 1-1/2" height for smaller riders...that and shaving the seat foam help my boy out a lot..they are available through DRR

Steven623
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
The red and black look really good! Bulldog decal really stands out ! Nice job!

QuadJunkies
04-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I agree! Nice !:cool:

ecmini1
04-06-2007, 05:23 AM
Bulldog,

Thats sweet looking:D

bulldogfallon
04-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I agree! Nice !:cool:

After seeing your son's quad I couldn't stop thinking about it

The yellow and blk still look the best to me

I have an extra set of yellow platics and the company I have worked for, for the last 8 years is known for their yellow/black colors

It would have been some great brown nosing material if I did it....

The blk/yellow is your look so I left it alone :)

QuadJunkies
04-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Well.... We had a very bad day today..But-there is still hope!

Brandon didnt even get 200 feet out to practice when it started to seize with the new cylinder, impeller piston,ect.... :(They are suspecting a bad crank as well at this point. It got so hot previously that it melted the pipe on the outside that it looked like it was down to raw metal:eek:
It just freakin cooked !

There is obviously a connection to all this .. one thing took out another ect...

We are very fortunate to DRR and our dealer as we done a swap out on a completly new motor at the track tonight. This one is AIR COOLED...
Were not ready to step into the liquid cooled right now .We thought where the kids run longer motos and we live in a warmer climate in the summer that liquid cooled would be a bonus. Im very greatful and appreciative, but there is obviously some bugs that need worked out or heck, maybe it was just a flook...!
We dont want to be going threw the trial and errors where we have so much race travel on our plate.Im sure there is plenty of perfectly great running liquid cooled out there,but our experience with it at this point has not been good, so we will go with what we do know works for us for now .Im tellin ya.. SOMETHING positive has to come out of all this! lol
Were going to TRY and attemped to race tomorrow.

Only bad thing is he missed practice so he will race a track he hasnt rode(new layout) on a new quad hes never raced. :scary:

QuadJunkies
04-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon

The blk/yellow is your look so I left it alone :)

Oh heck... go for it! Go with what ya like!
Brandon stole Shelmans idea:D
This is the colors reversed I would have chosen had it been me but oh well ,its his quad ;)

http://www.pbase.com/image/74312063/large.jpg

sldhd700
04-07-2007, 06:31 AM
Hey Quad Junkies

USRA has there first race of the season at Rocky Mountain Raceway in Salt Lake City next weekend. This is a two day race Saturday & Sunday. Friday night is practice on the new track. USRA hasn t ran mini quads in the past but if they get a good enough turnout they may run them in the future. For info check out rmrracing.com. You ought to bring your bike down and join us. If your like us we are always trying to find someplace or someone to race. We are also trying to promote the sport a little in our area.

Shayden Housley #39

millertime13
04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
dam..... that sucks big time.... bad crank seal.. it must of melted it, and is lettting it suck air.. leaned it out...
but don't feel to bad... i built the kids banshee this winter, it flat rips... we have about 5 dune trips on it, and the intake cracked by the boost bottle and burnet down one cylinder yeterday.. it has a 400.00 port job.. hope it didn't ruin the cylinder..hope we can just bore it.. AGIN !!!! when i fix it agin... i see a yfz 450 in his future... that thing is going up forsale... what a money pit that banshee has been..

QuadJunkies
04-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by sldhd700
Hey Quad Junkies

USRA has there first race of the season at Rocky Mountain Raceway in Salt Lake City next weekend. This is a two day race Saturday & Sunday. Friday night is practice on the new track. USRA hasn t ran mini quads in the past but if they get a good enough turnout they may run them in the future. For info check out rmrracing.com. You ought to bring your bike down and join us. If your like us we are always trying to find someplace or someone to race. We are also trying to promote the sport a little in our area.

Shayden Housley #39

Hey- thanks for that info! We just might have to try and plan something in the future ! :)

Of course Ill need to see how that money tree of ours is holding up
:p
it hasnt been growing very well :o

QuadJunkies
04-10-2007, 12:43 AM
I wanted to give a HUGE plug for Lou at DRR. He has went beyond the call of duty on this .
We are shipping the entire quad to Rich Hetrick to fully inspect it and find out what the problem is ... We once again didnt get even off the line w/o the quad running horribly.Somethings very puzzling,everything has been checked and rechecked by several people and many theories on why we are having so many issues and nothing is adding up so.... This is so mind puzzling as every approach to correct the problem seemed to be covered and yet we cant get this mini to run ,let alone race it.He got a DNF on Sat and canceled the other race for the day . I hope we figure it out, my boy was pretty sad this wk end . :(
We are sending it to the GURU himself to hopefully solve what ever keeps grenading the motors:confused:

Cross your fingers!!

ShadowRider1559
04-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Sound like a fuel issue to me. I think they will help you get it fixed. Totally stuck float swelled up needle only letting the fuel trickle by under power it will suck all the fuel out and bam stuck motor. I know I saw my buddies go with and after market fuel cap that the check valve got stuck on BAM same thing check those items too!

ShadowRider1559
04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey call colby at C& D Racing! he has some tips too!

AFROracing
04-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Quadjunkie,
am I following this right? you are now having problems with the aircooled also?

QuadJunkies
04-11-2007, 01:24 AM
When I get some time tomorrow Im goign to post some comparison pics .
There is some theory that it might be the billet gas cap.

I am going to show some pics that should explain that it is not the gas cap that is the issue as the design is actually less full proof than what we are using and also has smaller holes .We are going to swap out everything that can possibly be and the gas cap as well I guess as per DRR's suggestionsso we will do as asked but werepretty sure that is not the issue.We will also be replacing everything(Carb,intake,intake boot ,reeds,reed cage ect....ect...ect...) just to say we have elimiated EVERYTHING possible.

At this point we are willing to try anything .:(

QuadJunkies
04-11-2007, 02:47 AM
Quadjunkie,
am I following this right? you are now having problems with the aircooled also?
Yes.. you are following . Maybe Lous right.. Someone has a Voo-doo doll or something!:mad: :p
It immediately started having issues within the 1st few minutes off the line at the track!The motor was installed by our dealer fresh out of a new quad and into ours.

Go figure that one !:scary:

markvette
04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
i guess i missed something here. i thought you posted a couple days ago you shipped the whole quad to rich hetrick. billy holt is doing some awesome things with the water cooled quads. his motors have already won 2 nationls this year.

Mark

AFROracing
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Yes.. you are following . Maybe Lous right.. Someone has a Voo-doo doll or something!:mad: :p
It immediately started having issues within the 1st few minutes off the line at the track!The motor was installed by our dealer fresh out of a new quad and into ours.

Go figure that one !:scary:

And the aircooled motor is stock or did you use aftermarket parts?

QuadJunkies
04-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by markvette
i guess i missed something here. i thought you posted a couple days ago you shipped the whole quad to rich hetrick. billy holt is doing some awesome things with the water cooled quads. his motors have already won 2 nationls this year.

Mark
Sorry, I didnt post that part.. lol
Lou is going to have us try and few things 1st before we go extreme.
Were not ready for the water cooled version just yet. We thought we was but were a little nerouvs after all this and will hold off for the time being.
Yes, the air cooled is completely stock. Both motors actually.
Its really bizzare .:confused:

kenjolly
04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
I just started running our new wc 70 and 90 and both overheated with the number plate in front. i moved them under the headlight and no more overheating. looking for some tips on either the 70 or 90 , im new to the wc atv.

QuadJunkies
04-25-2007, 12:10 AM
This is how we ran ours for the time being on the front .
not the best looking way by far:rolleyes: but we left it as we was low on time that wk end.
I guss at least it wouldnt get as much mud being that high upso you could read it . LOL
Brad Loomis brought up a good suggestion about putting small holes in the plate to circulate more flow threw it