PDA

View Full Version : Pappy, I've got a quick PC question for you

Fred55
04-01-2007, 05:59 PM
In December I tore down my YFZ, gusseted the frame and had it pc'ed white. Today with only 5 rides on it, I was taking the plastics off to wash it and I noticed right above the subframe mounts I had cracks on the frame. The are not bad enough that I need a new frame, but it must be welded and gusseted in that area. What is the best way I can remove the powder coat in the areas I need to weld so I have a clean surface to work with?

gbcap
04-01-2007, 06:35 PM
take a grinder and just grind it right off. should come right off, you can weld it and then spray it white again.

Fred55
04-01-2007, 06:49 PM
thanks, i think ill try that...heres the spot that is cracked...its the same on the other side..i dont think its too bad...but what can i do to make sure it doesnt happen again?

Pappy
04-01-2007, 07:42 PM
use a sander, not a grinder. remove enough to weld the cracked area and to add a gusset above the top mount so that it will spread the stress from the mount higher up on the main tube.

also...have your rear shock checked, revalved etc, that area cracks due to the subframe acting like a whip as the suspension bottoms and the force travels from the upper shock mount and onto the subframe

Fred55
04-06-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the advice..got both sides welded up and gusseted now..as you can see in the picture...i also went and made my own subframe braces to help spread the load even more

Pappy
04-06-2007, 07:09 AM
glad to hear your back on the dirt!