PDA

View Full Version : tether kill switch problems...

400exRacerX
10-24-2001, 06:45 PM
Hey,
I have a magura tether kill switch and i have everything hooked up right and i have had it for about 7 months now. The only thing is that when ever the kill switch disconnects and kills the motor it blows a fuse everytime. So this really sucks because when i am on the track and the cord snaps, i go to put the cord back in and the motor doesnt start due to a blown fuse. What could be causing this kill switch to be blowing me fuses? I really cant go any longer with this thing it has really got to me and i am about to rip the friggin thing of my bars. All the advice and help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

sprt400ex
10-24-2001, 06:59 PM
make sure the wires on the bar mount are not touching, this happened to me and i took the whole kill switch off and took it apart, when i put it all back together it worked perfect, iu have never had the problem since. hope this helps

400exRacerX
10-24-2001, 07:05 PM
Do you meen the two wires going in the piece mounted on the handle bars? Do you have the same kill switch and did yours blow fuses too? thanks

Guy400
10-24-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
blowing me fusesWhat, are you Irish now:D

Actually, try just removing the kill switch while the bike is running and don't put the key back in. Without reinstalling the key, check the fuse. If it's not blown than you obviously know it's not when you're key gets yanked out. Then put the key back in and see what happens.

If the fuse survives the removal stage than I'd try turning off the factory kill switch and/or key and then reinserting the tether. Something's definitely not right. If you could, tell me the sequence of the wiring. I'm assuming there's power from the fuse block to the tether and then on to the kill switch/factory key.

If none of this works take one of the leads from the tether switch and hold it so you can get juice through the circuit but don't fully attach it. Leave the tether in and start the bike and then quickly pull your lead off the tether switch. If you blow the fuse than you can probably count the tether switch out as your culprit. If you don't blow the fuse reattach it and see what happens.

Also, has it always done this? Just started recently? If it's always done this then I'd suspect the wiring to be wrong or a faulty tether switch from the beginning. If it's just started I'd really be suspicious of the tether just going bad.

400exRacerX
10-24-2001, 07:38 PM
Thanks alot, I'll have to check it tomorrow because my bike too loud to be started up right now. And the switch has always done it, i just don't get it, i have tryed like every single method of wiring it and still know luck. i am kinda pissed that i spent 25$ on it when it blows fuses on me. The guy at the dealership which was a real [EDITED] job told me that the magura kill switch was better then the pro design so i said what the [EDITED] and bought it. Now i realized that if i just would have spent the extra 10$ i would have had a better kill switch, but now since this switch is old and has been used i cannot return it, and the kill switch never came with instructions or a number to call, it just came in a clear bag with the kill switch and a "parts unlimited" sticker on thee bag. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming, i will try it out on my bike tomorrow and let you know Guy. And as for the irish thing that was a typo but i do have some irish in my blood:D

Leo
10-24-2001, 08:03 PM
a switch in itself can't blow a fuse... it's either open, or closed...

what blows the fuse is having one side of the switch to B+, and the other side to ground.. when you close the switch (pull the tether) your essentially creating a short to ground.

assuming you have a 400EX:

find the black/white (IGN) wire, and the green (GND) wire running into your factory run-off-run switch..

connect one of the kill switch wires to the black/white wire and the other one of the kill switch wires to the green wire..

start the bike, pull the tether, the bike should quit, without blowing fuses.

for what it's worth there is a wiring diagram in the back of the owners manual.

your welcome :)

Leo

400exRacerX
10-24-2001, 08:09 PM
Thanks alot guys ill try all this first thing tomorrow. Sorry Leo about the language i was just alittle upset over the hole thing it really got to me.

Leo
10-25-2001, 03:21 AM
Let us know how you make out :)

Leo