PDA

View Full Version : uk rider needs help

superjet
04-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi all the quad seen over here in the UK is no where near as big as the U.S.A so ive come to you guys for the advice mainly because UK dealers just want to tuck you up for your cash.
Ive been trying to stop my quad ticking excesively all weekend valves clearances are spot on perfect
it still sounds as though its a valve problem the motor is completly stock apart from a AMG rev box and Coil now my question is what damage could these mods cause ?
The rev box as i understand it creates a different power curve and removes the rev limiter all sounds good however in the uk there are ways round the laws so we can make our toys road legal as mine is great fun but i think the missing rev limiter may have damaged a valve or something else due to constant rev ranges , whilst road ridding im sure its not a cam chain problem and i was hopeing for some advice from you guys that know. what should i expect to find when and if i remove the head?
Thanks in advance

EXriderO2
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
what kind of quad is it?

tim colston
04-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I am willing to bet a 400ex. That is the section it is posted in.

superjet
04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
sorry its a 2001 400ex

dariusld
04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Take it to the dealer and have them adjust your valves. If the noise is still there then its not that, if the noise is gone then we know you don't know what your doing.Have you adjusted your valves before? I still think its the valve setting, even though you say otherwise. Tell us what it was,when its fixed.

Did the noise come when you added those parts or a while after?

EXriderO2
04-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Also Check your oil level and weight, The way i see it is 400ex is famous for its various ticking noises....

superjet
04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh come on guys have some faith in me i adjusted the valves myself followed it step by step from technical articles on this site
its not exactly hard to do the ticking started about a month after the rev limiter was installed put the stock one back in to see if it made a difference and no change put different weights of oil in and still ticks away ive even tried 20 50w (treacle oil)
is it possible i may have blocked oil ways or faulty oil pump??

superjet
04-02-2007, 03:42 PM
finally i have sorted it three days later and a lot of swearing i discovered the cam chain sprocket had vibrated loose the two allen key bolts were ready to fall out fortunatly it has not damaged the head lucky me
plus the valve clearances are spot on now & its quiter now than it has ever been took it for a blast and all is good thanks all for your surgestions but i guess this was just one of those freaky faults that happens every now and again its all been thread locked in place so it wont happen again .........

dariusld
04-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Have you ever touched those bolts before?

superjet
04-05-2007, 08:49 AM
i bought the quad second hand so im not sure if the previous owner had messed about or not

jiffers
04-06-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm from the UK and race these damn things in mx and not doing to bad this year though i run a modded motor gt thunder 452 kit and yes they rattle i adjust the valve clearances every couple of meetings but the best mod i have done is use a crf cam chain as the standard one stretched and rattled alot on a good day i can out pull a 450 out of corners easy

jiff