PDA

View Full Version : after install pipe, filter, jetting, my idle seems to be a little higher?

Lorduss
10-08-2002, 04:18 PM
hey,
i installed the ATV works powerkit, jet kit, kn filter, precharger, and a WB e serioes slip on, and jetted to recemeneded settings.

my idle seems a tad higher than it was before, i dont think so much while cold, but after a long ride, it seems to idle higher than it should just a tad bit, but in the morning just as it gets warm enough to idle on its own it seems to idle lower, but it gos up and down slightly, any ideas?

other than that, it runs fine, has alot of power, i also put on a 14t front when i installed every thing else, so its hard to gauge the power of just the pipe, air filter and that, but im very impressed to say the least.

eldoexrider01
10-08-2002, 07:15 PM
you might try the idle ajustment knob on the carb. my quad idles good when it is warm but it wont idle until its warm. so urs might be turned up a lil bit.

eldoexrider01
10-08-2002, 07:15 PM
if for some reason u dont know where it is then look in ur quad manual.

redrider ex
10-08-2002, 07:42 PM
will make it breath better and will cause it to idle higher

400exdad
10-09-2002, 06:44 AM
It could be that its running a tad lean now. Did you c/o your pilot? I hate to make the comparision, but have you noticed that when your lawnmower is running out of fuel, the motor runs faster? It's leaning out. If your quad is running well and doesn't backfire on decelerations, I would idle it down and go with it. You probably ought to tweak the air screw if you haven't already done so anyway.

Lorduss
10-10-2002, 01:18 AM
i know the effects of a engine leaning out or becoming richer, i run gas rc cars.

other than idle, engine runs perfect, im gonna put a new plug in and check my mix that way, my dad said a new carb mixture wont have much effect on plug color since its been used a while. but engine temps stay low, lower than before, so i think i might be a tad rich.

what do you mean C/O my pilot ? i changed the needle and jet if thats what you mean.

idle ajustment should be that big screw that comes out that sits below my carb right ? one i had to take off to do my jet,

400exdad
10-11-2002, 07:29 AM
The pilot jet is used at idle and just off of it, before it gets into the main jet. My 300 and 400 both were lean from the factory that made them difficult to start, even with no mods. You should not have had to remove the air screw to replace the main. What you removed was and access port to the main jet. It will also drain the float bowl. The idle screw is just in front of the float bowl located underneath. It is a real pain to adjust, but is a pretty good size screw none the least. In is leaner, out is richer. To replace the pilot, you have to remove the float bowl. Factory is a 38, i think, and I went up to a 42. Remember, I don't have any mods to the airbox or filter. It runs and starts better now than ever.