PDA

View Full Version : Truck Problem

ECATV Raptor
04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a 2003 GMC 2500HD 6.0. Ive had it for 5 months now and its starting to give me trouble. Some mornings ill go out to my truck to start it and it just clicks. I have a brand new battery in it so i knew it wasnt dead. And the lights and radio would come on. At first i thought it was the altenator but then it wouldnt run very long at all. So then i think its my starter. I pull out the old one and get it checked at auto zone. they said i have a bad connection somewheres. So i replace the starter all together. It seems to work everytime i needed to start it yesterday. Then i come out this morning and it starts clickin. Then after 5 minutes it gets some juice and starts up slowly. Then i unscrew the battery and the negative wire was really sparkin. Somehting is needing power. Any ideas of what the problem is? Anything would be a big help. Thanks

Stevie-D
04-01-2007, 02:37 PM
i'm going to guess a short somewhere, which would explain not getting enough power to turn the starter, and also would cause your ground to heat up/possibly spark. check solenoids yet?

ECATV Raptor
04-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I replaced the selenoid with the starter so its brand new.

mr._bowtie
04-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Well on newer trucks like that your going to have some sparks on the neg terminal due to all the computers and memory new vehicles use. Now if its draining your battery over night then Id say you have a short somewhere. Being you have been working with the started I would start tracing its wires to see if one is burnt, broke, or rubbed through the insulation.

esr250r86
04-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ECATV Raptor
I replaced the selenoid with the starter so its brand new. It might have gone out again because of a short somewhere,or you just need an entire new starter.