PDA

View Full Version : MY 450r died while riding! electrical failure?

N300exJ
04-01-2007, 08:57 AM
So yeah i was out riding last night and my 450r just died all of a sudden. I was going full throttle in at least 3rd or 4th gear. I tried to restart it but nothing. The lights would come on and go off like they do when you try to kick it. Got it towed home and started taking it apart. Spark plug looks good but im not gettin any spark when you kick it. I checked the key switch and the run stocp switch and they seem fine. So im thinking it must be the coil or ICM took a crap. Anyone ever have there bike just cut out while riding?

esr250r86
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Try checking your battery, and your terminals, they might be loose or corroded, this happened on a friends 450 and it got back running after we cleaned the terminal off.:)

N300exJ
04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I have an 05 kickstart.

MAD450r
04-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Check the stator to see if its making good power, and sending fine to the coil.

400exrider707
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Check to make sure the CDI is still in its little rubber cradle under the hood. I had mine come out and bounce around and more or less disconnected, and kept cutting out to the point where it wouldn't start. Mine didn't just die all of a sudden though, it kept cutting out and finally got worse and worse till it wouldn't run.

N300exJ
04-01-2007, 08:49 PM
after doing some testing with a voltmeter it appears that the spark plug boot and coil are fried. not getting any kind of readings at all.

ajay002
04-02-2007, 12:55 AM
b4 you go buy a coil. check around that stator and all those magnetic pieces on the left cover.. i had to replace the crank in my 05 and some of the shavings got plugged up on all the magnetic parts. i goter back together. you could ride till it got warm then it would die. every once in a while it would fire but then would die. i also thought it was electrical "wiring" and i bought a coil and about 5 plugs till finally tooker apart and found out it was that magneto or wut ever you call it thats around the stator. check that.. that may help you.

fastrider450r
04-02-2007, 07:42 AM
i was riding the same way you were and mine just died (05 kicker) and the lights would light up and everything when i would kick it and everything... it ended up being the stator, i dont remember which plug and how to check it but if you call ricky stator in california they will tell you where to check and see if its fried, but they don't make one for it though.

you can also take off your oil plug where you fill it up at on the left side of the engine and if it smells like burnt windings, then its probably the stator. i dont know of any company that makes an aftermarket stator or anything i just got a new stock one. hope this helps

keep us posted on whats goin on

N300exJ
04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Im gonna start with the coil and spark plug boot since theres no reading at all from them. When i rebuilt my engine i spent a few days just cleaning everything extremely well. There were no metal shavings at all left in my engine. We did test the stator and it read that it was working fine.

IM also going to be converting my 450r to a crf wiring harness and everything crf in a few weeks. So even if it were something funky with the stator ill have a crf stator soon.

N300exJ
04-24-2007, 08:48 PM
PROBLEM FOUND! Like a few others said it was infact my stator fried on me. Finally got a new one and i have tons of spark. cant wait to ride my 450R this weekend. :devil:

And on another note i bought a stock 01 400ex to make into a woods racer. :D