PDA

View Full Version : which crotchrocket?

450raider
03-31-2007, 07:03 PM
as the subject says, im thinking of getting a bike on another month and need input from people who have them, now im totally new to this so im lookin fo somethin easy at first then can get more advanced as i would, i was sizing some up today and they felt awkward, do they feel better in time? and im down to a suz. gs500, hon cbr600, cbr600 f4i, and one of my friends suggested some kind of kaw. 750? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Sjorge450R
03-31-2007, 07:05 PM
cbr600 f4i

look for an 05 in silver. They are nuts looking!

I will have one of these next summer hopfully. I will prob buy this winter or next spring...

Regular_Joe
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
You need to learn more about bikes. The difference between the GS500 and the others is about double the power.

If your new, and I'm assuming you are, go for the GS500. Its going to be a better bike to learn on and make you a better rider in the long run.

03-31-2007, 08:48 PM
get something "slow" and learn..even the "slow" ones are fast

Tommy 17
03-31-2007, 11:24 PM
slow and CRs don't go together...

i started out on a cbr600rr and i'm fine... its all about respect... they can kill u in a heart beat its that simple... the power the bikes have and the speed they go is crazy...

to be honest with u start out on a cbr600 F4i or RR or a R6... as long as u can respect the bike and get use to it before u go crazy... trust me its hard to do but its possible and you'll thank urself for it later when ur resale value is higher and your riding a nicer bike...

Tommy 17
03-31-2007, 11:48 PM
heres a pic of me on my cbr today..

CRich[814]
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
don't waste your time on a 500 unless you'd be deathly afraid of a race 600.

i hope when im about 18 i will have a cbr600f4 in the orange/black special edition. its sooo nice. they're my favorite kind of older 600.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/judsonex13/bikes/cbr600F400.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/judsonex13/bikes/cbr600F4002.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/judsonex13/bikes/cbr600F4003.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/judsonex13/bikes/cbr600F4004.jpg

440exnacsracer
04-01-2007, 11:51 AM
the f4i's are pretty tame. the power doesnt come on too quick, but they still rev out pretty nice. for a beginner, i would say go with the f4i, just respect it. and later if you feel the need for more power, power programmers really wake those up with a nice exhaust, or sell it and go bigger

Harbin_22
04-01-2007, 12:06 PM
If you are not afraid of power then I wouldn't waste my time with a small bike. The only exception might be a Kaw 636. I started on a cbr929RR and in about a month I was lookin for more. A bike is only as fast as you make it. At first you are not gonna be able to get on any of them hard, but once you get used to them they are like anything else. They seem crazy fast at first and then, they become normal. Handling is a bigger issure the power. Any of the 1000's are great handling bikes and they only go as fast as you push them. If you don't feel comfortable at first then don't turn the throttle that far. The 636 is pretty quick compared to the other 600's so I would say go with one of those. If you get used to power easy just get a 1000 of some kind. And I completely agree with respecting them. It doesn't matter what it is, it can get you down real quick. And yeah all of them fell weird at first, but then they become second nature to you. The main thing is to relax while you are on them. Sorry for the book.

YamahaBlue22
04-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
slow and CRs don't go together...

i started out on a cbr600rr and i'm fine... its all about respect... they can kill u in a heart beat its that simple... the power the bikes have and the speed they go is crazy...

to be honest with u start out on a cbr600 F4i or RR or a R6... as long as u can respect the bike and get use to it before u go crazy... trust me its hard to do but its possible and you'll thank urself for it later when ur resale value is higher and your riding a nicer bike...

Totally agree...;)

mephyst
04-01-2007, 02:22 PM
My first street bike is an r6. Go for it. It has a lot of power and takes some getting used to... This is my first crotch rocket and 3rd one I have ever ridden. I have ridden and own Harley's for 2 years; it's a completely different feel, but still the same experience of riding a bike on the road...

ny300exrider
04-01-2007, 04:19 PM
if i was to start on a sportbike i'd be looking at a nice f4i. i think i want to get into the whole street scene but will most likely start on a enduro on/offroad bike first to see if i like it. if i ever decide to get a sportbike, i think the f4i would be one of the best choices due to the "slight tameness" of it compared to other 600's but still more than enough power/speed to get killed. they look great too.

Tommy 17
04-01-2007, 04:53 PM
guys i hate to tell u this but the F4i isn't "tame" compared to the r6s and 600rrs... infact most of u including me can never run an f4i to its maximum potention.. the f4i is only a tiny bit slower then a 600rr or a R6... infact it can be riding just as fast!

ny300exrider
04-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
guys i hate to tell u this but the F4i isn't "tame" compared to the r6s and 600rrs... infact most of u including me can never run an f4i to its maximum potention.. the f4i is only a tiny bit slower then a 600rr or a R6... infact it can be riding just as fast! thats what i was trying to get across but couldnt find the words for it....they are by no means an easy or slow bike to start one...still a 600cc sportbike. my friends uncle had an 02 f4i and it was a beast....it would still be my first choice though...

CBRSLIDER
04-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Tommy, well spoken words from a responsible young adult. These bikes produced today are more bike than most of us could ever dream of handling. To think that a 600cc bike by whatever brand is a starter bike is giving yourself way too much credit as a rider. These bikes need to be respected and have more potential than most of us could ever ask for in a bike. I believe it was Freddie SPENCER(former racer/multi-time champion) that teaches riding and racing classes on VFR800's and VFR750's(sport touring). He is on the track with a passenger burning off laps that are better than people on liter bikes(1000's). So to think that the bigger bike is the better then your in your own world. I rode a 98 CBR600F3 for 7years and I would be lieing if I said that I maxed out its potential.

Plus there are issues like insurance for a bigger bike. Why pay $9500 for a cbr/gsxr/r1 then pay $3000 a year on insurance????? It's bad enough paying the $7500 for a 600cc bike and paying $1000+ for insurance. THEN look at the possibility of fines, crashes, etc for either of the bikes. They are fun but there is a lot of responsibility to go along with them.

You have received some very good advice on what to get from these guys. Just be responsible with whatever you get and have fun on it.

Ray

robjohn74
04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
i have the 06 cbr 600 and love it ...............

Tommy 17
04-02-2007, 09:38 AM
thanks ray... i wish i was more responsible haha...

insurance is killer on these things... my cbr is like 2500$ for full coverage... right now i'm payin 650$ for just comprehensive with a 1000 deductible and i have a 100% clean and perfect criminal and driving record... i mean not a mark on either!

heres another thing to look into... the newer 05 + bikes like the 600rr, R6r, gsxr600 all have really really long and low riding positions... my bars are over 2 inches lower then my buddies F4i or my friends 05 gsxr600r... their able to go a good hour before they have to stop... i'm stopping every 30 mins if possible to stretch because my back and wrists hurt me so much... half the time i'm sittin straight up with one hand on my knee takin the weight off my back... if you want a more comfortable bike that your able to ride longer go look at the F4is they seem to have a more up right position... trust me layin over the tank and riding someone on the back with their weight layin on u also is like doin a pushup for an hour :o

jal232
04-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I started out and bought a brand new R6. I had been aruond the dirtbike and atv world all my life. If that means anythign for experience. The speed is amazing, so quick, and the handling was suberb.

Just respect the bike, the conditions, and other drivers. They are the worst.

And once you ride and get used to it, your wrists and back get back to normal.

any questions ask me

Josh

Slinky
04-02-2007, 02:19 PM
its all about respect....get a bike that you dont feel comfortable on...or that scares you...cause if your not scared. you dont respect the bike...i got rid of my 01 gsxr750 because i had lost all fear of it and figured i'd eventually kill myself or someone else.

also remember....there are only 2 times of riders..those that have been down and those that will go down. I dont know of one rider that hasnt....i got lucky and only ended up with minor road rash....one of my friends didnt end up so lucky. when they went to pull him out of his leather suit he pretty much just fell apart.

Respect the bike....and and F4i would be a great starter bike.

400EXTRA
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
buy a cbr
here is my first one! Only 14
http://www.minipocketrockets.com/cagllari-pocket-rocket/