PDA

View Full Version : Stripped oil tank threads

TrapZ400
03-31-2007, 03:54 PM
I was changing my oil today and I stripped the threads in the oil tank. I heard on cars that you can buy an over sized plug to fix it. Anybody know anthing about it?
Or will I have to replace the whole oil tank?

nicker71
06-26-2007, 02:02 PM
my brother did the same thing to his kfx 400, and it was only a couple of weeks old. He took it to the shop he bought it and they heli-coiled it, they werent sure if it would hold of not but it did and worked just fine. You could do this yourself or maybe look on ebay for a used one. I dont think a used stocker would cost to much.

Lolli2
06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
We had that happen. We rethreaded it and went to the hardware store and got a bigger bolt. Works great and a cheap fix if you have a tap and die kit.

mojavedude
06-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Lolli2
We had that happen. We rethreaded it and went to the hardware store and got a bigger bolt. Works great and a cheap fix if you have a tap and die kit.

i did this to my lakota sport, no big deal. if you want to do it real good, i would do what lolli2 said and rethread but then put the heli-coil in it. it would be safer screwing into steel threads rather then the softer aluminum.

honda6490
06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Yea re threading isnt too hard. And everything you need to do it shouldnt be to expensive, you could try this first if you dont want to buy a whole new oil tank.