PDA

View Full Version : any ideas how to plug snorkl from airbx

sc400ex_rider
03-31-2007, 07:25 AM
i want to remove the snorkle from the airbox what do you use to block the hole? any ideas welcome....thx

TURBO-530R
03-31-2007, 07:51 AM
i think nacs sold a block off for it.

dariusld
03-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Alot of people use spray can lids. Just find one that fits and wa-la. and its free.

underpowered
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
yupp the lid off a spray can is perfect, also with paint there is a variety of colors available lol.

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Nac's Racing website does sell an aluminum "laser etched" snorkel plug for $9.95. I have one installed on my quad, pictured below. Some prefer to use a spray paint can lid.

Ruby Soho
03-31-2007, 06:47 PM
does removing the snorkel help any? it does get in the way when working on the engine...

rescue6
03-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Man that EHS lid looks great. I bought an outerwears box cover but have not yet installed it because I cant quite figure out how it is suposed to seal completely maybe I can copy that aluminim plate design and just go that route. How do you like it? I am currently just running with the lid off but I dont like having to remove the airbox all of the time to clean it out. I would have ordered the NACS racing snorkle plug also but they were out of stock when I wanted one so I used a yellow spray paint cap that matched my quad.

JOEX
03-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
does removing the snorkel help any? it does get in the way when working on the engine...
The snorkle becomes unecessary when the airbox lid is removed or when using a modified lid like what hornetgod13 posted.

drag93ex
03-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
The snorkle becomes unecessary when the airbox lid is removed or when using a modified lid like what hornetgod13 posted.

im runnin with no lid and paint can lid with drilled holes in it, not sure if the holes help but looks good.

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by rescue6
Man that EHS lid looks great. I bought an outerwears box cover but have not yet installed it because I cant quite figure out how it is suposed to seal completely maybe I can copy that aluminim plate design and just go that route. How do you like it?

The EHS lid is awesome. It filters a lot of the larger stuff out before it even gets to the UNI filter. It's water resistant as well for added protection. Anyone with some metal working skills and access to assorted nuts and bolts could make one of these. You would need to buy/use an Outerwear lid to cover the opening. EHS Racing sells the entire lid for $80.00 and a kit for $40.00.
That outwears cover that's held on with adhesive velcro is WORTHLESS! Don't waste your time with it. It fits poorly and the sticky side of the velcro lifts up the next time to go to take it off. Just cut it down and make a custom lid.

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho

Reduces the weight slightly. It's also make the quad a little more maintenance friendly. I removed mine and blocked the intake hole because I wanted all my air to flow through the modified lid I bought from EHS Racing.

rescue6
03-31-2007, 10:26 PM
My thoughts exactly. I have the outerwears box cover but never installed it because it does not look as though it would make a tight fit. Would you mind getting me a measurement for the oval oppening in that cover and the thickness of the aluminum? I am pretty sure my rotozip and I can make one of those covers.

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 11:30 PM
The hole is 7" long by 4 3/8" wide. The thickness is up to you. It just holds the outerwear in place with several bolts. Ensure you tape the edges of the outerwear so they don't fray. Here's a bigger picture of it.

Deadly300
04-02-2007, 02:01 PM
heres my box with an outerwear lid and spray can lid block off.

Deadly300
04-02-2007, 02:02 PM
pic 2

kolby2004
04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
I just ordered a "Water Repellent bootie" from outerwears. It goes in the snorkle hole of the airbox, if you have removed the snorkle. Here's a pic!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w309/kolby2004/BOOTIEBK.jpg

Exrider434
04-02-2007, 04:47 PM
what purpose does the snorkle serve. if i am still running the lid would there be any reason to remove the snorkle?
thanks,
adam

JOEX
04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
what purpose does the snorkle serve. if i am still running the lid would there be any reason to remove the snorkle?
thanks,
adam
I'm thinking the snorkle will bring in cleaner and cooler air than just leaving the hole in the box open...

Deadly300
If you trim the cap a little and turn it around you'll have a cleaner look;) :)

dariusld
04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I'm thinking the snorkle will bring in cleaner and cooler air than just leaving the hole in the box open...

Deadly300
If you trim the cap a little and turn it around you'll have a cleaner look;) :)

Ditto:) :) :) :) Your exhaust sits right by that hole:(