PDA

View Full Version : Needle Question

ryanp
03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey guys...I'm new here and gotta say love the site...but got a quick question. Can I use a dynojet needle with stock type jets or what? Also would anyone have a pic of a stock needle and a dynojet needle? If not then can someone please explain the diff. so I might be able to figure out which one I have. Thanks

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 12:32 AM
You can use either. 1999 to 2004 carbs have a stock adjustable needle. The rest with 2005 and newer quads have a non-adjustable needle. I purchased a DynoJet kit and use the adjustable needle out of the kit and stuck with stock keihin jets from www.jetsrus.com

JOEX
03-31-2007, 12:55 AM
My understanding is Dyno Jet needles have a different taper taper than stock needles and are matched to Dyno Jet main jets.

I suppose somone could use a Dynojet needle with a stock jet and vice versa but comparing jet numbers with others would be misleading at best:ermm: This alone, IMO, is a good reason to stick with stock style Keihin jets.

rescue6
03-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Does anyone have a stock 99-2004 needle they might want to sell me?
I have an 05 non adjustable so I need the adjustability.

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by rescue6
Does anyone have a stock 99-2004 needle they might want to sell me?
I have an 05 non adjustable so I need the adjustability.

I doubt you'll find a taker on that deal. You can buy a stock 1999 to 2004 needle for $28.00 from here.
http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=M9D7LrMU&mv_pc=363&se=pg_d_id%3d1489%20and%20pg_my_id%3d34
A little pricey but your options are limited if you want a stock needle.

GPracer2500
03-31-2007, 02:32 PM
If you're just trying to go a little richer on the needle you can often (ususally) use itty-bitty washers to shim a non-adjustable needle.

This isn't a 400EX needle, but you get the idea:
http://users.rcn.com/kochc/moto/carb/needle.jpg

ryanp
03-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
My understanding is Dyno Jet needles have a different taper taper than stock needles and are matched to Dyno Jet main jets.

I suppose somone could use a Dynojet needle with a stock jet and vice versa but comparing jet numbers with others would be misleading at best:ermm: This alone, IMO, is a good reason to stick with stock style Keihin jets.

thats what i've heard in the past...but wasn't sure whether or not it would work. I just bought this bike and it has a dynojet stage 1 kit in it and runs like crap. They got it way too rich...so I ordered some Keihin jets but needed to know if I needed to order a stock needle. Does anyone have a pic of the stock one for comparison? I have 2 carbs and I think they both have jet kits in them. Thanks

hornetgod13
03-31-2007, 10:07 PM
I currently run a Dynojet adjustable needle with Keihin jet. I have the clip on the 3rd slot down from the top. It doesn't suffers from any ill effects. Runs great and plug chop shows a light tan color.

hemi400ex
04-01-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I currently run a Dynojet adjustable needle with Keihin jet. I have the clip on the 3rd slot down from the top. It doesn't suffers from any ill effects. Runs great and plug chop shows a light tan color.

hornetgod13 i'm running the same jetting as u but with the 152 cause i run lid on, at idle if i thumb it hard it bogs down to almost stalling is that normal and thanks for the lid on / off troubleshooting tip u gave me about the backfiring and if the 155 was to high is worked great

hornetgod13
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm still fine tuning my jetting. I'm bouncing between 155 and 158 with the EHS racing lid. It has more flow than with the lid on and not quit as much airflow as with lid off.
I'm glad I could help you out with your jetting. Mine used to stumble a bit when I was quick on the throttle from idle. If you are running a 42K pilot than try to turn your fuel screw in a half turn and see how it runs. I adjusted the fuel screw in a 1/2 turn to fix the problem. Raise your idle adjustment a bit too. That should help as well.

hemi400ex
04-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
I'm still fine tuning my jetting. I'm bouncing between 155 and 158 with the EHS racing lid. It has more flow than with the lid on and not quit as much airflow as with lid off.
I'm glad I could help you out with your jetting. Mine used to stumble a bit when I was quick on the throttle from idle. If you are running a 42K pilot than try to turn your fuel screw in a half turn and see how it runs. I adjusted the fuel screw in a 1/2 turn to fix the problem. Raise your idle adjustment a bit too. That should help as well.

planning on riding tomorrow i'll do both and c what happens thanks