PDA

View Full Version : 3rd gear don't work?????

ssduane
03-30-2007, 11:34 PM
After weekend out playing and installing a WB head pipe I scored for cheap I decided to through a bigger jet in the 300. Run it around and shift into third and nothing except rattle rattle.

So I yanked the engine out and split the case and the only thing I see wrong is that the lower outer most fork has a slight bend in the fork area. All teeth on the gears look great, not slammed gears or anything. Anyone have any idea if the fork mentioned has anything to do with the 3rd gear. 1st, 2nd and 5th feel real tight from input to output shaft and 3rd and 4th gear feel like they both have excessive lash from input to output shafts. 4th gear does work when riding it.

:confused: :confused:

genxracer
04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
it was common on 300s and 250x's the dog on 3rd gear dont reach far enough to the driven gear,look inside the gear you might see scrapes where it just bearly grabs....hard to explain with out pics but i changed one back in the day. I think there was an update or something.

ssduane
04-02-2007, 10:58 PM
yep, thats exactly what it was/is doing, ordered new gearsets and the fork, should be here tomorrow. Thanks

morse250r
04-04-2007, 08:55 AM
call four stroke tech i think theres a washer and you move it to the other side of the gear and it allows the gear to go further into the mesh my buddy had to do it on his 390x but mickey knows the right combo