PDA

View Full Version : ~~Does VP Racing Fuel Really Help???

z400ex
10-08-2002, 12:29 PM
I meet a guy on a 426 that said he uses vp racing fuel and gained 4 hp.....Can you notice a big difference in performance?? I no that it is very very expense to buy but if its worth it ill consider it.........thanx

VegasEx'r
10-08-2002, 12:48 PM
I don't want to call the guy a liar, but I don't beleive for a second that he picked up 4 ponies just from switching to VP. You only need race fuel if your compression ratio is 11:1 or higher (even at 11:1 you can get away with a 50/50 mix sometimes). Less than that & all you are doing is wasting $$$.

Extremeracer167
10-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Really u ahve to have an engine setup to run Race Fuelor it will run way too hot! If u ever hear guys talking about High Compression pistons and stuff like that, thats when u notice a gian in running race gas. And yes it does make BIG differance. Personally i like Klotz race fuels more. It runs fora bout $29 for 5 gallons. But like i said, its not something u just wanna throw in there and expect it to run good. U gotta have an engine thats set up to run race gas.

ChadEXer
10-08-2002, 01:20 PM
This is what tom at TC racing says,,,
he is putting a 10.8:1 compression piston in my 505,,he usually runs a 12.5:1 compression but told me if I will be play riding then lowering my compression would help the motor last longer(thats why Sparks 505 keeps splitting cases, because he runs 15:1 in his bikes!!!) With a 10.8:1 compression you can run it on pump gas just fine,,,well Tom told me DO NOT run anything less than VP C-14 in it!!! Thats 114 octane!!! He said some people believe that too high of an octane will actually lose performance, but thats not true,,,unless you run 117 octane in a stock bike!!! Racing fuel burns slower and has lead additives that make the bike run cooler! As long as you dont run some crazy high octane in a low compression bike then race fuel is always for the better,,,If you can afford race gas, then use it!!!

z400ex
10-08-2002, 03:38 PM
ok guys..thanx for the replies:D

GlamisEXRider
10-08-2002, 04:04 PM
how about a 50/50 mix of avgas? it is alot cheaper than VP or trick.

330EXman
10-08-2002, 05:40 PM
vp gas is nothing but a blend of octane that comes out to be alot high like 108,110 so on ,

with a high compression piston you motor will actually run cooler on higher octane you dont gain anything from race gas other than a lower operating temp

also you keep more power but dont gain any cause when your motor get hot the heat sucks hp from the motor like mad

if you run race gas on a stock motr without high compression it wont do anything for you it wont hurt anything either but the whole in your wallet after a year of buying race gas

you wont gain any power from the gas
the only way it helps you is lowering op temp with high compression

o ya and the smell of it can keep a man alive 6 extra days in the desert lol

i love the smell

Lorduss
10-08-2002, 06:53 PM
idont know the most about this but i do belive race gas does make a difference, and VP does make a race gas ment to run on stock compressions that gives slightly better acceleration, i belive you might have to rejet and do other things to run that gas though, you can run certin other higher octane fules i belive also, as it describes in a VP info sheet describing all there fules i got from a motorsports expo.
to get the most out of racegas, you need to run higher compression, but you can run stock compression, and get a small difference from the right gas i belive.

Hoodeye3
10-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Don't waste your money!

300EX
10-08-2002, 09:02 PM
hey Chadexer where in Tx do you live?

Extremeracer167
10-08-2002, 09:13 PM
im not calling anyone a liar here, but YES racegas can improve performance! Maybe not so much in a stock 400ex Engine, but even when i ran it in my R, it made a very noticeable differance, and it was a stock engine. Made it much snappier, and i def. didnt have to fan the clutch as much! SO yes it DOES make a differance. And if u are serious about racing, then you would be foolish not to run it! But to just go out and joyride, witha stock engine, i wouldnt do it. And yes it can hurt a stock engine. It can cause it to run too lean and POP!!

beerock
10-08-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
And yes it can hurt a stock engine. It can cause it to run too lean and POP!!

sorry bro, but race gas causes a rich condition on a motor jetted for pump gas..

Big - D Racing
10-09-2002, 12:02 AM
Race gas boosts horsepower, plain and simple. Anyone who says different doesn't know what your talking about. Vp just release a new race fuel called Ultimate 4. It is made for 4 strokes and for stock machines all the way to race application. Vp says it will boost a guaranteed true 6% increase in power. I have talked to people that have run it, and they say it works great. It is expensive though, costs $49.99 for 5 gallon drum! And is rated only at 100 octaneunleaded gas, but is formaleted for 4 strokes only, sorry 250r guys. This is the only gas that vp guarantees that high of an increase in power, they won't guarantee that with the C-14, C-12, Red, or anything else, even though all of those gases have higher octane ratings.

YZROOSTINYA
10-09-2002, 04:34 AM
all octane is how high the flash point is and how fast the fuel burns

higher octanes burns SLOWER and has a HIGHER FLASHPOINT

race gas in a stock bike is USELESS. 2 strokes do benefit from race gas even on a stock bike. it will make it snappier. it doesn't really make it more powerful but helps it maintain its power by the cooling effect so a constant operating temp is acheived. although staright race on a stock 2 stroke is a waste. 50/50 is fine.

the real benefit of race gas is its ALWAYS the same. gas pump to gas pump the fuel can change. specific gravity and how long ut has been sitting will affect how the fuel performs. race fuel is always the same. from can to can, so once its jetted you never have to mess with it again

dhines
10-09-2002, 06:38 AM
Guys, I think that we may be talking about a couple different things here. Everyone has been throwing around the term "race gas" without really defining what that means. As far as increasing perfomance (and I'm not really an expert here so someone correct me if I go astray), if we are just talking about gas with a high octane (103, 110, etc), then you are not going to see a real increase in power. Higher octane simply helps prevent pre-ignition or pinging in high compression engines. What I think some of you - Extremeracer167 for example - are refering to when you say "race gas" is a gas that not only has a higher octane, but is also oxygenated - which CAN lead to higher performance and does result in a somewhat lean condition - requiring you to up your jets.

Klotz for example sells a product called "Coxoc" http://www.klotzlube.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KS&Category_Code=MC_ADDITIVES that is an additive that both raises the octain and provides oxygen in the mixture for increased power. My dad was turned onto it at one of the GNCC races this year and I can tell you from experience that it does make a difference in performance. - It also makes your EX smell like a two-stroke!

Dennis

ChadEXer
10-09-2002, 08:16 AM
dhines is right, i was just reading smithtex.com, the website of the place I buy my race gas and VP says that Octane numbers arent the only thing in race gas to look at, oxygen levels, lead content, specific gravity and a few others are very important to consider!! Thats what helps your bike run better as well!!
300EX, i live in East texas!!!

Extremeracer167
10-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Yes i run Klotz race gas, with Coxoc, and the klotz race gas is Oxyginated, tahts whats im talking about when i say it makes it run hotter. U cant run it in a stock engine, or it will run way lean, and even turn your header a whitish color. Ive run both, Klotz and VP and in my mind Klotz is a much better gas. Maybe not in stock engines, but for race engines, i believe it is better. 2 stroke and 4. And its only $29 for 5 gal. at the races! Better then that VP stuff some of u guys were talking about. But they say LEADED fuel IS better for a 4 stroke hig performance engine, its provides a slight barrier in the moving parts, causing less friction and less wear.

RED121572
10-12-2002, 10:41 AM
I ran C-12 for a few months. I did notice a better starting and bottom end snap. I switched to using 94 octane for two reasons. Race gas isnt cheap and my suppliers shop hours were too unreliable.

z400ex
10-14-2002, 01:21 PM
thanx for the replies guyz......

DarkStarRacing
10-14-2002, 06:06 PM
VP gas is for people who have nothing better to do with there money :devil

Glamis400ex
10-14-2002, 07:44 PM
ok, ok, so answer me this...

I've been toying with this idea here before the next season hits. I KNOW straight race gas is not for my stock 400ex. But on the other hand, the premium pump gas isn't what i used to be either. I can only get 91 octane here in Cali....no higher.

But, I can technically make 95 octane fuel by mixing 4 gallons of 91 to 1 gallon of c12. Do the math, and it comes out to 95.2 octane.

4 gal of 91=364
1 gal of c12=112

total=476 divide by 5 to get your average of 95.2 octane.

If this is completely not possible, don't slam me guys, I'm just looking for a tad higher octane than the 91 that is available. I think 95 octane would "pep" up the bike a little. Would this work?

Thanks,

Glamis

GlamisEXRider
10-15-2002, 07:41 AM
95 oct. would be ok i think. some states sell 92,93 oct.
i run c12 with 91 oct at 50\50 mix but i am going to try avgas with 91 at a 50\50 mix here in 2 weeks at the poker run in glamis. avgas only cost 2.40 a gallon compaired to c12 at 7.00 a gallon.

Glamis400ex
10-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Be carefull about using avgas. I've heard bad things about it. Avgas is meant to used at high alltitudes, like 10,000ft. It has a heavy oxygen content to it.

Just what I've heard, no experience...

Glamis400ex

Extremeracer167
10-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Darkstar,
Race gas is for ppl that RACE! Not ppl that just want to waiste money. I dont know if u race, but especially when u race nationals, u need every bit of edge u can get. Tell that to about the 90% of ppl that race that its a waiste of money. What good are aftermarket swingarms or a-arms, or even shocks?? Guess those are a waiste of money too? Most of us that have an egine setup for it, it makes a very noticeable differance. Just to bring that to your attention.

GlamisEXRider
10-15-2002, 11:34 AM
I work with a guy that is an aircraft mech. and he use to race desert on quads and now has a rail with a 4.3 chevy in it and he says he said that avgas runs dry. if you run avgas you can add an oil additive or run a 50\50 mix and you should have no troubles.

bmf400ex
10-15-2002, 12:13 PM
don't base your mix on pump gas becuase that is just an average, not actual octane rating. and any thing over 89 would be a waste of money in a stock 400ex. IMO ofcourse :D