PDA

View Full Version : I need jetting help.. Jetting guru's?

JasonP
03-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Here we go.
Checked for air leaks. Good to go and even used some Av gasket maker between the manifolds. Here's my problem.
I am adjusting my idle circuit. So on the pilot jet, screw and air jet. I rev the engine up to about 1800 rpm or so and turn the pilot screw all the way in. Then slow back it out tell I get maxium rpms until the engine starts to miss through the exhaust. I come with about 2 1/2 turns out on the pilot screw. So good right.. well now if you rev it up and let off the throttle.. she back fires and cracks through the exhaust like it's lean. So I adjust the screw out half a turn it gets a little better but not perfect... I try more 3 1/2 turns out still no better. ****!! Now I have to change an air jet or pilot jet. . . but now isn't my low speed setting is off. I wonder if I have an exhaust leak? Also it will not start on the choke. You have to just pump the throttle a couple of times and then the engine will fire. Also when it warms up it seems like it doesn't want to start at all. Help I'm sick of this.
Also the accelerator pump is lean. And there is no way to adjust the actual jet or nozzle. You can only adjust the duration of it. Both stoping and starting. If you give the rod a big push when you wack the throttle then the bike just snaps and the engine revs awesome. No matter how soon I start it, the engine will booog for a second then take off. So I guess I'll have to drill the nozzle out a little at a time.
So this carb has been a real pain in my ***. Obvously I'm going to get ripped on because this is why you all went to the brock carbs. I can see why now. This carb does perform when you get it tuned right, it's just a big ***** trying. I think tomorrow I'm going to bring it to the shop and soak it in carb cleaner and the hot water wash it and see if that helps.
Any help would be great here would be great!?

GPracer2500
03-30-2007, 09:43 PM
What bike?
What mods?
What carb?
What's the current jetting?
Where are you? (i.e. what are your typical riding temps and elevations)

The above info will help folks give you advice.

With the idle speed set to a normal level and the fuel screw turned all the way in, does the eingine continue to run?

Honda#4
03-31-2007, 10:13 AM
If you answer all the questions that GPracer said then I could help you with your jetting.

JasonP
03-31-2007, 02:31 PM
TM-68 smoothbore mikuni carb 36mm flat slide with accel pump.
Yamaha warrior 350. 366cc JE 10.5:1 piston, Cometic EST gaskets, Web .390 cam, HD springs, TI tops, DR big valve, port and polish head, lightend flywheel, White brother's MX4 exhaust.
I took the carb all apart today and found that I must have seated the pilot screw to hard and broke the needle off the pilot jet inside the carb. That was a ***** to get out. Hopefully I didn't f the seat.
I also checked the float height and that was off as well. So I put that back to stock 17mm.
I'll have to order some parts. . . I drilled out the accel pump nozzle just a hair. I've always had problems with the roll on being to lean. I talked to Sudco about different accel nozzles and they don't offer any for my carb only HSR series.