PDA

View Full Version : 440EX Problem

ibrohling440
03-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I am new to this forum and also new owner of a 440ex. I have a Lectron carb but don't know the jet sizes. Have a valve cover leak and the other day while riding it backfired and stopped. After I got off I noticed that there was a small head gasket leak that was not there before. I run 110 race gas. What could be the problem?

Ruby Soho
03-30-2007, 12:09 PM
are you running HD studs? i had the same problem... i just ordered mine from GT thunder. there on there way

400ex_BG_Rider
04-01-2007, 01:46 PM
My guess is you have blown the head gasket! Might been detonations becouse of bad jetting

ibrohling440
04-02-2007, 08:11 AM
I took it apart this weekend and I'm going to replace the head gasket, and check the timing and valve clearence. The guy I bought it from said they had the 440 kit installed two years ago and never started it, because he went to the yfz450.

ibrohling440
04-02-2007, 08:14 AM
But yes 400ex BG Rider you are correct if you want to be sure about the work do it yourself!

hondaguy20
04-02-2007, 09:14 AM
when you put it back together heli-coil the stock studs back in instead of putting HD studs....cuz what the stud is doin is pulling up out out of the threads in the jug....putting in a deeper heli-coil will hold the stud in longs cuz then you have steel threads instead of aluminum ones

ibrohling440
04-02-2007, 10:13 AM
I was thinking of heli-coil on my valve cover because some of the bolts were stripped out. But the head I have heard a few people say that for the head bolts to go ahead and use HD head bolts.
One of the good things is that I work at a machine shop.

hondaguy20
04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
the thing is that only putting HD stud in is that they will still pull out...putting a heli-coil in will make the threads of the studs go deeper into the aluminum holding the stud in more securley... putting only HD studs, the threads of the studs are still gunna pull out of the aluminum...its not the studs streching out...it the studs pulling out of the aluminum

Ruby Soho
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by hondaguy20
the thing is that only putting HD stud in is that they will still pull out...putting a heli-coil in will make the threads of the studs go deeper into the aluminum holding the stud in more securley... putting only HD studs, the threads of the studs are still gunna pull out of the aluminum...its not the studs streching out...it the studs pulling out of the aluminum

when you put in HD studs, you drill new holes to accept a bigger, longer stud. it has roll form so it will not come out.

go HD studs, so many people have the same problem and after tons of research ive found its the solution

ibrohling440
04-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm with Ruby SoHo on the HD head bolts. I too have done a lot of reshearch on the head bolts and HD is the way I am going. I want to thank all of you for your help. Also, I am glad the I was thinking the same thing (Blown head gasket) when my 440ex went down and you guys just comfirmed it for me. Again THANKS.
When I finally get time I will have pics of my 440ex on this forum.
And also my mods. Got to get it fixed. I'm ready to ride!!!!!!!