PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams stage 1

450'sRFun
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm getting ready to go into my 450 and freshen it up a bit. I'm going with a JE 11.5:1 piston, new cam chain, checking rod and replace intake valves with kibblewhite stainless steel valves.Thing is, I'm thinking about a stage 1 hotcam also, what is the likely hood of NOT using the same shims in the valvetrain? Thanks

GPracer2500
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 450'sRFun
....what is the likely hood of NOT using the same shims in the valvetrain? Thanks

In my experience the likelihood is low. With multi-cylinder engines (like an I4, 16 valver) I've been able to swap shims around and get things back to spec, but with only 4 shims to work with I'd guess you'd be very lucky to not need at least some new sizes.

It's worth a try, but don't be surprized if you need to take a trip to the dealer to get shims. A Hotcams shim kit is another option.

DirtDevilBT
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
yep^^^

FYI: I'd get into an CRF cam before a stg 1. Either a 02 or 04. I had an 02, liked it very much, went to the stg2 I have now, and eh, big deal, I like the crf. So check into the stg2 or crf cams, the crf is the better bottom end midrange cam, 04 crf I believe is more midrange but I dunno. sorry

jkirk141
03-29-2007, 07:17 PM
i put a stage one n my 04 u better get a shim kit... ull like the low end power you get... im happywith it

pro-rider46
03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
i have over 100 hours on mine and all my shims were like new and did not need to change them. but it probably matters how hard you like to ride. i beat mine pretty good and i was suprised to see that i did not have to do any changes.

i did this to my 05 what year is your bike

i think you should do it and if it needs new shims just go to the dealer and get sum. i dont think you need to buy a shim kit unless you do this for a lot of bikes

DirtDevilBT
03-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i have over 100 hours on mine and all my shims were like new and did not need to change them. but it probably matters how hard you like to ride. i beat mine pretty good and i was suprised to see that i did not have to do any changes.

i did this to my 05 what year is your bike

i think you should do it and if it needs new shims just go to the dealer and get sum. i dont think you need to buy a shim kit unless you do this for a lot of bikes

Needing to shim all depends on two things:

1.) valve train wear or pre out of adjustment before swap

2.) aftermarket cam lobe base vs. stock lobe base

PS> Check the auto-decomp when putting the new cam in. Just adding, not arguing.