PDA

View Full Version : killing me

lundgrener02
03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
alright i can't hold it any longer, i've read how well this bike is built and how nimble it is riding, but for heck sakes guys does nobody have enough balls to go out and drag race another 450 to give us a comarison on how the motor is? i mean i know the whole break in period is important to some but one or two quick races is not goin to mess up the motor. from what i understand you just don't want to get the motor real hot for a long period in break in, so go out and race your buddies and tell us what happens!

soilworker
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Stock KFX won't hang w/another 450. It has the power but the gearing is so low in stock that you top out way before any other 450. Change the gearing and it should hold it's own as it definately has more stock power than any Jap 450. But like I said, it needs a gearing change b/c 1/2 are useless and you run all the way through 5th before you're even partly through 5th on another quad. The only real ignorant thing I'e seen so far.

lundgrener02
03-29-2007, 05:32 PM
that sounds so ridiculous to me, why would they make the gearing that much lower on a stock bike like that. i had never heard this before with all the reading i've done, do you actually own one or just saying that? anyways, i could care less about the gearing just want to know "STOCK FOR STOCK" has anyone with a kfx450r raced another quad. i am juat curious how well it will run on the street in a race?

tn ltr450
03-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I ran a 450r on pavement, I had him by a couple of bikes unitl we hit 5th, then he pulled away. Its very qick through the gears but the gearing isn't there for speed. I didn't press the issue since I'm only on the 3rd tank.

slvrhwk
03-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I ran an 05' or 06' piped, jetted, open air box honda 450r on pavemnt. First race was from a sencond gear roll to the middle of 5th he pulled a couple quad lenghts. I had trouble shifting due to a small stick stuck between the shifter and motor. The second race was from a first gear roll to the middle of fifth my front tire was at his rear tire until we let off due to a turn.

bwamos
03-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by lundgrener02
that sounds so ridiculous to me, why would they make the gearing that much lower on a stock bike like that. i had never heard this before with all the reading i've done, do you actually own one or just saying that? anyways, i could care less about the gearing just want to know "STOCK FOR STOCK" has anyone with a kfx450r raced another quad. i am juat curious how well it will run on the street in a race?

Mainly because the others are geared too high for real riding and most people usually gear them down for the woods. ;)

They gear them too high.. because they know that the gemeral public values top speed and drag races over high accelerating tight track times. ;)

I havent ridden many stock quads that weren't geared too high from the factory, IMHO. The LTR450, 400ex, etc.. are all prime examples. Many take them and drop a tooth up front right off the bat.

lundgrener02
03-30-2007, 10:35 AM
alright thanks guys that what i was wanting to hear, i just was getting worried because i thought kawi would have had a sweet motor stock, but all that i had heard was that the power was ok from a few reviews. yeah i totally undertand the gearing thing, but did think it was interesting they would do that. i ran my 450r geared down stock, but now that i have built the motor it is faster all around with the stock gearing i think.

feature05
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Same thing for me. My cousin has a LT450R with cherry bomb, exhuast, and air intake. We raced on the street. I was ahead by just a little and then he started pulling on me after I hit 5th gear and he only got me by about 1 quad lenght. But it is true, on a track short gearing will help you out a lot better.

casey88
04-01-2007, 10:34 PM
i drag raced a ltr 450 and it just smoked me it was modded but i also raced a stock yfz and i was on on his rear tire but i beat both quads off the line.

prey2none
04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I race mine in the woods and have 2 races on it now and the power is awesome. It is better than my YFZ450 with a flywheel weight. So much torque and lugs through all the obstacles. The suspension is under works by GT Thunder as we speak and I will get to ride it this weekend....I will let you know...ric

awj8074
04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Why is everyone so worried about top speed all the time? I've had my trx450r for 3 years now and i've gotten used to the high gears in the woods but I think they did the right thing on the kfx by giving it lower gearing since most of the buyers will be doing mostly trail riding without modding it and the ones who buy it for mx will be modding it anyway and changing a sprocket is easy enough. I still laugh everytime one of my friends jump on my 450 and they go to take off and keep stalling since they are not used to having such a high 1st gear.

lundgrener02
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
yeah i agree with the lower gearing in the woods, but i had my 450r geared down stock when i first got it, but i have put it back to stock because i was always running in 5th gear in the dunes flying through the trails. i like my stck gearing especially with my motor built now. most guys i know with thier geared down quads never even use first at the dunes.

trx440
04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm still waiting for a manufacturer to make a real dune quad. It would come with cushion grips, a 10" HID light mounted to the steering stem. and a tranny featuring a 2-3-4-5-6 shift sequence. No first and no reverse.

That's one of our favorite sayings, "Your as useless as first gear at Glamis"