PDA

View Full Version : First oil chang metal shavings

madsteam
03-29-2007, 02:07 AM
My ? is when u change ur oil for the first time how much metal shavings is normal and wuts to much. I just put like 6 hrs on a raptor 350 changed the oil today and what i think is a bit much shavings. I'm going to take a pic of the filter and post it to get some opinions befor i take it in.

madsteam
03-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Here is pic of how much junk was in the filter
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o208/mag-7/DSCN0509.jpg

GPracer2500
03-29-2007, 11:54 AM
That does look excessive.

I cut open all my filters and spread them out for examination. I can find some metal bits nearly every time. But not like that. Being brand new and it's first oil change I would expect to see more bits than normal, but that still seems like an awful lot [shrug].

You can take that filter to the dealer and see what they say. I'd probably add fresh oil and a new filter, ride for a few more hours, and then change the oil again. If the filter comes out pretty clean on the second oil change, that would suggest to me there were simply some excessive tolerences that needed to be "worn in".

zrpilot
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Seems excessive to me as well :(

I find it curious why the metal particles are on the outside of your filter. It is probably correct, just seems odd to me. I would think that an engine designer would want to filter from the inside out so when you remove the filter all the "junk" would be contained in the filter and not have the opportunity to fall off upon removal.

GP, had not thought of cutting open my filters, I'll do that from now on, thanks for the tip!

bwamos
03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Looks like they didn't do a flush when they first prepped the quad. Lots of manufacturing residue there. Painted chips etc...

madsteam
03-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Well i took the filter to the dealer and they said this was normal.....hmmmmm. I'm still a little worried bout it. Thanks for ur guys input.

KeHall
03-29-2007, 11:14 PM
New Quad under warrenty Drive it it blows up take it back

"THE ShoP"
03-30-2007, 01:43 AM
dosn't look to healthy to me.thats a real lot of metal shavings

an if thats normal I'd hate to see what it would look like if it had a problem..lol

sc400ex_rider
03-30-2007, 07:48 AM
ya really ......some transmission gear filings maybe but that looks like alot of machining debree. my 400ex wasnt that bad

racer94
03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
we build racing engines,and i dont care what they told you,that is too much.i would have argued with them,jumped their *****es or something until they did something about it.

gbcap
03-30-2007, 11:58 AM
that looks like there is even some gasket stuff in there too. i would do another oil change after an hour of riding or so and check the results. it does look like there is WAY too much stuff in there to me.

madsteam
03-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Im going to take it to 2 different dealers and see what they say. I'm going to pismo this weekend and going to run it and see what happens when i change the oil agian.

ac_stevenson
03-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Madsteam, I live in the area.... Out of curiousity, what dealer told you that was normal??

madsteam
03-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Wilsons motorcycles thats where i bought it. I'm taking the filter to clawsons some time this week.

Hey where do ride at is there any good local spots to go to where i wont get in trouble. I go to a river bottom out by kerman, but thats bout it.

ac_stevenson
03-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by madsteam
Wilsons motorcycles thats where i bought it. I'm taking the filter to clawsons some time this week.

Hey where do ride at is there any good local spots to go to where i wont get in trouble. I go to a river bottom out by kerman, but thats bout it.

My buddy and I usually ride in Visalia down in St. John's river, which is probably a drive for you. There was a fairly popular spot at the corner of Cedar and Mountain View, but they've closed it down.

As for the filter - I'm not an expert by any means, but that looks pretty excessive to me.

jeremy_283
03-30-2007, 10:06 PM
just from putting in a new piston i have about half that much........ i wouldnt worry to much about that if i were you........ you got the clutch piston transmission and all other sortsa crap that needed to be "worn" in

NorCalRacer
03-31-2007, 07:16 PM
It's not that excessive. I would change it again quick and that will probably be the end of your problems.

JasonP
04-01-2007, 10:22 AM
My first oil change on my warrior was about like that... It ran strong for 8 years and would have kept but I wanted more power out of it so I rebuilt it with a high compression piston.

madsteam
04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Cool i thought i wasn't going to see any post where someone had filter that looked close to what had. Thanks