PDA

View Full Version : Its time to put my motor back together

rhandw69
07-30-2001, 11:05 PM
Ok here I am again, still without a manual. Im going to start to put the whole top end back toether again.
Problem however!!
How much of a problem would it be for someone to email me the specs on setting the cam and timing chain back in together. Yes I forgot to make my marks when i took it apart.
So now where do I go from here. Im pretty confident that with instructions I can accomplish it, but i need instructions first. When i took it apart i took off the sprocket off the cam then slid the cam off. My chain is being held up with a piece of string.
If someone could email me at Rhon.williams@mcchord.af.mil
I would greatly appreciate any help
or they can fax something to me to
253-982-5190.
Thanks for any help that comes.
RHan

nakomis0
07-30-2001, 11:22 PM
Its fairly easy to do. On your lower case theres a big allen(hex) head cap, and a littler one just to the upper left of it. Remove both them caps. Use a rachet in the larger center hole to turn the flywheel?clockwise? ( i gotta double check that in my manual) and while you turn it look in the little hole you'll notice a small notch turn the flywheel and line the notch up with the 'T' notch that will appear when you rotate the flywheel. ok so thats how you line that up.
On the timing gear you'll see to notches opposite each other, those notches face out, line those notches up with the cylinder its almost horizantal <---->.
and thats it. So basically you make the gear line up, and the 'T' notch line up, and its all good. I'll check on which way to turn the motor tomarrow unless someone else knows.

wyndzer
07-31-2001, 09:47 AM
Turn the motor counter clockwise. It's as easy as Nak says just make sure that the lobes on the cam are in the down position when put the chain on the gear. Install the bearings after the chain is on and then put the bearing holders in place.

nakomis0
07-31-2001, 11:20 AM
Ok got my manual and I did miss a few key points.:eek:
Lube cam with moly oil or eqivlent, to protect on startup. Install dowel pins, and spiring and plunger (most after market cams you dont unstall spring and plunger thats for decompression system).
Yup rotate COUNTERCLOCKWISE. Install cam sprocket, so the index lines line up with the top of the cylinder head. Also there will be an index line pointing straight up. now install the cam in the head and through the sprocket. Make sure all your index lines are still straight('T' mark and everything). Apply blue lock tight to cam sprocket bolts, tighten the top bolt to 14lbf-ft. Rotate counterclockwise so you can install and tighten the other sprocket bolt.
then you have the chain tensioner, someone said it looks like a parking brake blockoff, on the outside rear? of the cylinder. remove that if it isnt removed already, its just 2 screws/bolts. Stick a small screw driver in ther chain tensioner, and turn it clockwise, that will retract the tebnsioner. Now keep it like that and put it back on, after its on you can release the tension and remove your screwdriver. ok thats it::pant:::huh

07-31-2001, 02:49 PM
You probably want to get the torque specs for all those bolts.

rhandw69
08-01-2001, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your help on this guys,
I think it should be simple with the exception of the chain tensioner, Im still somewhat confused on that, but my nieghtbor just brought me over his manual last night, so i think that will be a big help.
Once again Thanks!
RHan