PDA

View Full Version : Rules and regulations

axelnut
10-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Hey, my 11 yr. old wants to race. He has a 300ex but I have heard that he can only race a 90cc or smaller? Is that right? Also if it is right can I custom build one for him to race? I was thinking about a 250x frame with a cr80r motor. Is that "legal". My son is tall and the little quads are to small. I live in Souther Indiana and don't really know of any tracks except the one in Nebo,KY. Thanks for any help.

10-07-2002, 11:49 PM
Thats a great idea. Yes that is legal. but i would do it with a 250r chassis so that the suspension is a lot better. More travel and a better handleing chassis. I would put in a kx 85 motor though. They will out run a piped 400ex. I saw it first hand cause i was the one riding the kx 85.

Buzzsaw
10-07-2002, 11:55 PM
if you go with the r frame don't go with a aftermarket if it were me i would look for a fisher frame and build it right.

tprender
10-08-2002, 05:50 PM
If you go to a non-AMA track you might be able to have him race. the current AMA rule is 7-11yr 0-70cc; 12-15 71-90cc. There is talk of this changing. We will not know for sure untill Dec.

atvtrailrider
10-08-2002, 08:39 PM
Is it under real coniseration for change? that would be awsome. My 12 yr old rides a 400 EX and outrides many adults. There is no way he could ride a 90cc quad. We must race at non-AMA sanctioned events for the time being.

tprender
10-09-2002, 03:45 PM
The AMA/ATVA rule committe meet last Friday to set the rules for next year. I was in the meeting untill 3 when I have to leave for the GNC race at Budds Creek the next day. Just as I was leaving we started working on the ages and cc's. I have not been able to talk to anyone that stayed for the full meeting and find out what happened yet. We changed the ages last year, but the Board of Trusttees voted it down no word from the legal dept. We will not know the out come till dec when they meet and do there vote.

Crypted1
10-09-2002, 07:00 PM
A fisher frame is the only way to go on the minis. He builds custom frames for what ever engine you want. Nebo is a good track, he shoud like it... also Echovalley is not too far from Nebo. And then you have Quadcity just out side Evansville, IN. Also Motorhear in Newtonville, IN.

axelnut
10-10-2002, 12:02 AM
I would like to start off on a factory frame. If I go custom I will build it myself. I figure it can't be any harder then building a car frame. Anyway I think I have found a frame in Owensboro,KY so maybe I can get started on it as soon as I get his 300ex back together after powder coating. Thanks for all the input!!!!

Crypted1
10-10-2002, 08:59 AM
Really??? I'm just right out of Owensboro, KY.

DarkStarRacing
10-10-2002, 11:27 AM
the ama age rules for quads are so dumb, any age kid can ride a dirtbike but put him on a quad and theres restrictions...i don't get it :grr