PDA

View Full Version : new wheels for the truck

underpowered
03-28-2007, 12:04 PM
16x10 american racing diamond backs with 305/70-16 tires. tight fit on stock height, but they worked with a little body modding lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/Truck/PICT3342.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/Truck/PICT3405.jpg

i think it gives the truck a much more agressive stance.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/Truck/PICT3404.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/redneck409/Truck/PICT3403.jpg

so what do ya think? next is a new set of tires, the ones on it only have about 40% tread left.

HB416EX
03-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Looks OK.Not my favorite but if you like them:macho

TWISTED DINLI
03-28-2007, 12:15 PM
thats a sweet lookin truck. my brother has one just like that only black.

underpowered
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
thanks. they are not the wheels i wanted, but came across a good deal on them with the used tires that was hard to pass up. i might do a body lift to get it away from the tires a bit, which may give it a cleaner look, but i kinda like the stuffed look personally.

54warrior
03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Please don't do a body lift. Those are lame. I'm sure if you do some research you can find some type of leveling kit?

I know you can get different torsion bar keys that will raise the front a couple inches to gain the added lift, without putting additional stress on the torsion bars themselves. They should be less than a body lift even.

Do some looking around for that stuff, but please don't body lift it.

Are those tires equivalent to a 33"??

Kickstarts-suck
03-28-2007, 01:54 PM
THROW SOME Ds ON THAT BIT!

lol jk

03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck

lol jk

that aint no caddilac

LOL

esr250r86
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM

lol jk yeaaah!

Ron89
03-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Please don't do a body lift. Those are lame. I'm sure if you do some research you can find some type of leveling kit?

I know you can get different torsion bar keys that will raise the front a couple inches to gain the added lift, without putting additional stress on the torsion bars themselves. They should be less than a body lift even.

Why are body lifts lame?

ZeroLogic
03-28-2007, 04:36 PM
He must be one of those guys who can't get it up. :p

Originally posted by Ron89
Why are body lifts lame?

54warrior
03-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
He must be one of those guys who can't get it up. :p

My personal opinion is that body lifts are the cheap way to get clearance, and you don't gain any performance benefits from them. I only advocate their usage, once a supsension lift has been installed, and you'd like to run larger tires.

Lets take my truck for instance. I have a 6" susp. lift on it. I can clear 35's. Adding a 2" spacer onto the aftermarket coilover can gain enough to run 37's. After that, a body lift would be required to run any larger tires (or you could go with fiberglass fenders).

Regardless, it's an economical way to "look" lifted, but you really don't gain any performance from it.

They are a pain to install and just plain look like crap when no "gap guards" are installed with them.

I'd almost guarantee that, as I suggested above, some new torsion bar keyways can be had for less than a good body lift (one that includes all hardware, including bumper relocator brackets).

Most decent body lifts are in the $250-300 range. I don't own a Chevy and am not knowledgeable enough about the specific details on those trucks to offer any insite as to where to look for such parts. I do know that they are available though.

Being ATV/Truck enthusiats, we should all be able to agree on the fact that money is better spent on add-ons/mods that improve performance vs. those that just make things look pretty, right???

BTW, my signature should explain the getting it up part.

underpowered
03-28-2007, 10:47 PM

yes the tires are about a 33x12.50.

and for the body lift, normally i am not a fan at all. i am usually against body lifts or most BB anything. but my reasoning is this: Price, i can do teh body lift for under $500. also function, this truck will never see hard offroad use, sure it will see some use off road (i simply don't believe in mall crawlers, if i got it i'm gonna use it) i dont need any more flex that what i already have, and if i do, i wont gain much from the front, i can always re work the rear springs for more articulation. i am just doing it for more clearance.

as for the keys, stock green keys from ford trucks will give the an extra inch or so over just cranking my stockers, but then you run into alignment problems and wearing ball joints like there is no tomorrow. i might do the ford keys and and and add-a-leaf in the rear instead, but either way it is gonna cost about the same.

underpowered
03-28-2007, 10:49 PM

lol jk

i absolutely DESPISE dubs. IMO the 16's are to big, i love 15" wheels but they wont fit over the stock calipers so that is why i have 16's.

rYan01400EX
03-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Hey, thats a sharp truck.

Personally though, I'd much rather have a $200 1984 Cavalier with some $18,000 28" wheels on it. They make a GREAT lift kit for the car.

Kidding - see that quite often in my town.

underpowered
03-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
Hey, thats a sharp truck.

Personally though, I'd much rather have a $200 1984 Cavalier with some $18,000 28" wheels on it. They make a GREAT lift kit for the car.

Kidding - see that quite often in my town.

lol yeah i am seeing stuff like that around here more and more now. i think it is hilarious that people are putting 6" lift kits on cars, just to clear their 24" wheels. my only question is Why? what is the purposed of a wheel that freakin big? i freakin hate em.

thanks for the comment on the truck

mr._bowtie
03-29-2007, 01:26 PM
I dont think there is anything wrong with doing a body lift. They do add performce because they allow you to run a larger tire, which increses ground clearance and allows for better traction. Are they the ideal route to go? Probably not. But for what they cost they are sure as heck alot more reasonable. Plus for anyone that actually uses the bed of their truck a 6 in suspension lift makes getting anything in and out of the bed a pain in ***.

Ill probably put a 3 inch body lift on my truck, run 33x12.50s and it will look good and Ill be able to go anywhere a nice truck needs to go can get. I know a bunch of guys that run em. Looks great, works good, cost effective.

54warrior
03-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by mr._bowtie
I dont think there is anything wrong with doing a body lift. They do add performce because they allow you to run a larger tire, which increses ground clearance and allows for better traction. Are they the ideal route to go? Probably not. But for what they cost they are sure as heck alot more reasonable. Plus for anyone that actually uses the bed of their truck a 6 in suspension lift makes getting anything in and out of the bed a pain in ***.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Larger tires don't always=More Traction. I know many guys with Jeeps that run 33's instead of 35's, simply because the 33's are smaller and will fit into tight crevices better, resulting in the ability to get more traction. In winter time, many people run smaller skinnier tires because they get better traction-There is a smaller contact patch between the road and tire, resulting in the vehicles weight being placed onto a smaller area, which results in the extra traction. Larger tires tend to "float". This doesn't just apply to snow/ice, but also mud as well.

Cost: Due to the ridiculous torsion bar setup that chevy uses, there isn't much available in the way of a leveling/mid-travel lift kit for those trucks. I'm glad to see the new versions went to a coilover setup. So yes, a body lift is much cheaper. I did some reading up on the chevy forums about the keyways and as someone else stated, it's not the way to go. Therefore, in this case, I guess that a body lift is the way to go if you don't want to spend more than $400.

I could have bought 2" spacers for my truck, and fit the same 35" tires that I am running with my 6" kit. Spacers are less than $200, a 3" body lift is over $400 with tax.

I know I will get hammered for calling the TB setup ridiculous. Why don't we all just go put TB setups on our quads then shall we??

mr._bowtie
03-29-2007, 03:04 PM
I dont disagree with anything you said lol...

With the bigger tire statement I was really just refering to larger then stock. Even beyond the size of tire your running you need to figure in your vehicles power, gearing, and weight. I have a 78 K5 Blazer that I run 33x12.50's on... I could easily clear a 35 but I dont have the power or gearing to use them.

The size of tire also depends largly on the terrain youll be in. Where Im at most off roading is in straight mud... fields, ditches, dirt roads. Not many truck trails around here. So a tire that will float will keep you from gettin stuck in alot of cases... youll always run into cases where you have the wrong tire though.. like right after a rain when roads are greasy and the mud isnt deep... wide tire are squirly while skinny tires handle great... then once the water is set in and the mud is deep and thick... that role reverses.

Suspension lift are the best for serious off road. No argument. But body lifts work great for what they are intended for.

400ex28
03-29-2007, 03:09 PM
i'm running a b/l and it was simple to install and havnt had a problem with it, if you decide to get one please raise your bumpers up with it.

tp300ex
03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
bout to buy some of those for my truck but i think im only putting 32 or 31s looks alot more aggresive!

Ron89
03-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I want to buy a body lift for my truck. Costs only $90 at most and doesn't throw everything out of wack. I was told by a lot of off roaders that they help because after 4-6" of lift, things really need to be hacked at and adjusted.

54warrior
03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Ron89
I want to buy a body lift for my truck. Costs only $90 at most and doesn't throw everything out of wack. I was told by a lot of off roaders that they help because after 4-6" of lift, things really need to be hacked at and adjusted.

Throwing everything out of wack? Only the drivelines. On newer IFS trucks, that is adjusted automatically with the suspension lift itself by lowering the front diff down usually 3-5" on a 6" kit. They aren't subjected to extreme angles at all, only during flex.

What are you putting a b/l on that only costs $90??? Must be from JCWhitney

Yes, after 6" things get tricky because of the rear driveshaft angle. That can be fixed with a double-cardan style universal on the shaft. The custom shaft typically costs between $400-600. If your going for more than 6" though, a person would be aware of this, and anticipate that into the cost of their build. Then there is also the steering linkage issue, etc.

I'm going to quit ranting on about this because WE have kind of hijacked the thread. This is a discussion for somewhere else. This guy just wanted to know if we liked the wheels on his truck, so I am done.

underpowered
03-29-2007, 09:16 PM
the hijack is ok by me, i am enjoying looking at everyones reasons for and against a BB.

but here is why i was going body instead of suspension.

1. Cost
2. this truck will never see hardcore off road use.

believe me, i would much rather have a sups. lift, but for my purposes a body lift will do everything i need it to. i fully understand the idea of correct size tires, which i why i chose carufully. the 305/70 i have now are less than 1" taller than stock, but 2 inches wider so my gearing has not changed much, but the foot print has. i am going mainly for looks, but am getting the tires for functions which is why i am only going with 33's. on the next set of tires, i may go with 285/75 for better wet road handling due to the skinnier footprint, but the OD is about the same as the 305/70.

Ron89
03-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Throwing everything out of wack? Only the drivelines. On newer IFS trucks, that is adjusted automatically with the suspension lift itself by lowering the front diff down usually 3-5" on a 6" kit. They aren't subjected to extreme angles at all, only during flex.

What are you putting a b/l on that only costs $90??? Must be from JCWhitney

Yes, after 6" things get tricky because of the rear driveshaft angle. That can be fixed with a double-cardan style universal on the shaft. The custom shaft typically costs between $400-600. If your going for more than 6" though, a person would be aware of this, and anticipate that into the cost of their build. Then there is also the steering linkage issue, etc.

I'm going to quit ranting on about this because WE have kind of hijacked the thread. This is a discussion for somewhere else. This guy just wanted to know if we liked the wheels on his truck, so I am done.
Body lift is going on an old suburban. I have checked a bunch of sites actually and never had one over $120. No IFS on this pig.

mr._bowtie
03-30-2007, 09:03 AM
54warrior knows his stuff on these lifts! I will second everything that he said.

Body lifts for older trucks are dirt cheap, its just the newer style trucks that you start running into the 300+ dollar body lifts. Ive helped 2 guys with 96 & 98 chevy half tons install theirs and they just cost about 100 bucks out of summit.

I like the wheels! I think they are beefy lookin.