PDA

View Full Version : Oil question for 450R

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Can anyone tell me if there are any special directions for changing the oil in the 450R? This will be my first change. For example, in my bf's Raptor, you have to add so much oil at first, then start it for 10 minutes, then add another specific amount. Is it the same for the 450R, or do you just add it all back at once? :confused:

03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
put in the suggested amount of oil, then run the bike for 3-5 minutes, shut off, let it sit for 3-5 minutes then check oil level again, add enough oil to bring it up to specs if needed.

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
put in the suggested amount of oil, then run the bike for 3-5 minutes, shut off, let it sit for 3-5 minutes then check oil level again, add enough oil to bring it up to specs if needed.

Thank you! That's simple. I couldn't get any info on if i needed to do anything special! Thanks!:D

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
ONe other question, duh, how much oil does it take? Anyone know? :confused: Sorry to be a pain, but that's what us women are good at ;) lol

sportrax stu
03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
my uncle has a 450 and it takes about 800ml of oil for the engine, my 400ex takes bout 1.2l cos the oil is for the engine and transmission, but your 450r has seperate tanks for transmission and engine.
let me no if u need any more help
stu

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by sportrax stu
my uncle has a 450 and it takes about 800ml of oil for the engine, my 400ex takes bout 1.2l cos the oil is for the engine and transmission, but your 450r has seperate tanks for transmission and engine.
let me no if u need any more help
stu

Thank you for the help. Do you add the 800ml, then start it up for 3-5 like speedy said? And then check the dip stick to make sure it's at the full line? Thanks i really appreciate it!

sportrax stu
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
yea do tht but when you start it up DONT give it any throttle, you need to give the oil a chance to go round the engine. after a couple of mins shut bike off and check oil, and top up accordinly. but i shouldnt think you will need to top it up too much, like i said it will only hold bout 800ml. whatever you do dont over fill it, its better to be half full than it is to have to much
hope this helps
stu

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 02:14 PM
yea do tht but when you start it up DONT give it any throttle, you need to give the oil a chance to go round the engine. after a couple of mins shut bike off and check oil, and top up accordinly. but i shouldnt think you will need to top it up too much, like i said it will only hold bout 800ml. whatever you do dont over fill it, its better to be half full than it is to have to much
hope this helps
stu

Stu you have been such a big help! I have a couple ?'s about the tranny fluid too if you don't mind. What kind/brand of it would u suggest i use? does it also take 800ml? Thanks sooo much! :D

sportrax stu
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
i would reccomend going with the honda stuff they use straight from the factory, i havent been there when hes done the tranny oil, but im guessing it will be about 800ml, theres a glass window same as on the oil, so you can see how much your putting in. if your not sure what oil then go to ur local honda shop and they will show you what you need. if not i could find out the name of it, but i live in the u.k so?!......
whatever you wanna do reli;)

03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
the tranny oil is done the same way as the engine oil...there is a little(10 mm head) check bolt just in front of the tranny fill, a little lower on the case...if oil comes out of that , then you have enough tranny oil in it...

my '06 450r takes .90qts(.85 l)for the engine and .85 qt(.80 l) for the tranny...any sae 10w-40 will work..make sure that the tranny oil does not have molybdenun lubricants in it...they will make you cltuch slip...

i have been keeping the honda oils in mine since i don't like to mix and match oils...but like i said any 10w-40 oil will work

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 02:48 PM
i would reccomend going with the honda stuff they use straight from the factory, i havent been there when hes done the tranny oil, but im guessing it will be about 800ml, theres a glass window same as on the oil, so you can see how much your putting in. if your not sure what oil then go to ur local honda shop and they will show you what you need. if not i could find out the name of it, but i live in the u.k so?!......
whatever you wanna do reli;)

Awesome! Thanks! I appreciate your help! I will call the local dealer and ask them about the type. Thanks again!

Eva

sportrax stu
03-28-2007, 02:50 PM
no probs glad to help :D

sportrax stu
03-28-2007, 02:52 PM
no probs, glad to help :D

ATV Chic
03-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
the tranny oil is done the same way as the engine oil...there is a little(10 mm head) check bolt just in front of the tranny fill, a little lower on the case...if oil comes out of that , then you have enough tranny oil in it...

my '06 450r takes .90qts(.85 l)for the engine and .85 qt(.80 l) for the tranny...any sae 10w-40 will work..make sure that the tranny oil does not have molybdenun lubricants in it...they will make you cltuch slip...

i have been keeping the honda oils in mine since i don't like to mix and match oils...but like i said any 10w-40 oil will work

Awesome! Thanks u Thank u! I really appreciate it! Thanks man! U rock! :macho

sportrax stu
03-28-2007, 02:56 PM
let us no how u get on yea. the first time is always a bit tricky, but ull get the hang of it after uv done it a couple of times

03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
if you have any other questions send me a pm...

i think the tranny drain bolt is in a different location on the 05 than it is on the 06 so i can't really help you with that...other wise just about everything should be the same...

ATV Chic
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Just an update.....everything worked out great and it runs like new! Thanks again for all the help guys! :macho

04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
glad to help