PDA

View Full Version : 300ex..sputters~~

QuadJunkies
10-07-2002, 10:21 PM
I have had this going on ever since I have had my Toshi on it, the only way I can explain it, is when at hi rev,it sputters ,not al the time,its random,and to me it has the sound like if you were to run it through alot of water and it sputters??:confused: sorry, if I m not explaining it well,but I cant figure it out,any ideas??Im going to check the jetting on it tomorrow. any hepl would be great ..thanks;) Tina

QuadJunkies
10-07-2002, 10:21 PM
oops. that should read"Yoshi"..sorry:D

Castor-426ex
10-07-2002, 10:28 PM
make sure you spark plug is in it tight...

check the good ole air box...and filter...

a jet could be comin loose.....

have you been muddin lately? lol dont lie...

you runnin good gas?

do you have gas?

theres the basics...lol anything else lemme know

:)

L.Vegas400
10-07-2002, 10:39 PM
you dont know what your talking about castor:rolleyes:

QuadJunkies
10-07-2002, 10:40 PM
I cannot tell a lie.. Stone cold busted..he,he, no seriously,this has been going on since I put the pipe on,which was the following day or two after I bought. I could really notice it when im trying to rev high for a hill. then it would sputter and I would turn around, for fear of losing my power..Yes...lol I have tried all the above, and GAS!...was one of the first things I would check;) duh..j/k:p :p :p

Castor-426ex
10-07-2002, 10:54 PM
i dont know what im talking about sorry...:D

its probably in the jetting...but when the wife had the 300ex...and hers would act like that occasionaly it might be the float...or just a junked up carb...or...you might just need a 400:eek:

QuadJunkies
10-07-2002, 10:57 PM
Oh, I know I need a 400!:)

stocktires
10-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Put the stock exhaust back on, If you problem is then cured, it has to be jetting.
My ole 300 had/has an ignition or electrical problem. Ive been trying to figure out what it is. One day it'll run perfect (yesterday), then the next it'll run like he!!

QuadJunkies
10-08-2002, 10:46 AM
Im taking it in to HOnda today and having them look at it, they are the ones who out it on for me.BOy, do I know what you are going through Stocktires~~Im going through it with my 90.Im hoping to have all all re-wired this wk. end..What is yours doing??

Cannonball08
10-08-2002, 10:48 AM
its either the jetting or you are hitting the Rev limiter.

stocktires
10-08-2002, 11:54 AM
Its a connection somewhere. I re-wired a huge connector about 4-5 times already.
A mechanic even checked it out and He said it was the connection, so he re-wired it and it still does it.
Its hard to explain, But its EXTREMELY aggravating!
Tha 300 starts sputtering real bad and I can fiddle with the connection and it'll go away, or get worse. So I gota sit there and wigle on it till it runs right again.
Anyway, I hope ya get ur quads runnng right!

QuadJunkies
10-08-2002, 01:59 PM
Well, I got a couple different jets today, im gonna give them a try tomorrow , ill let you know what the outcome is:):) Stocktires~~ That is so weird:confused: I hope you get your problem resoved as well, did you post some help on this issue?? cannanball08~~ I have a pretty good feelin im not at the limiter yet, and I checked the spark plug, its running a little lean but not too much, i suspect it is the jetting, ill find out tomorrow..Thanks for all the suggestions:):)

Cannonball08
10-09-2002, 08:15 AM
I had a CR125 that did this and it was the wiring also, If you wiggled the wires that came out of the magneto a little it would run fine

DEAL
10-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Rev limiter.

MeatHead
10-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Well, I would probably agree that it is probably the rev limiter. By "doesn't do it all the time", you mean it only does it in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, but not 4th and 5th. This is EXACTLY what mine does now. It is the rev limiter. As soon as my WB pipe, and k&n were installed and the air box lid removed. I would hit the rev limiter. With the stock exhaust it would never hit the limiter. Just to let you know what jets I am running, I have the stock pilot, and a 128 Main. I also turned the mixture screw out a half turn. Mine is running great, except for the rev limiter. If I am in sand I only hit the limiter in 1-3, on hard pack i hit the limiter in 1-4.

How ever if your quad is cutting out at random times, then you could have a different wiring problem. Good luck

QuadJunkies
10-09-2002, 08:50 PM
Well, I just took my first lesson on re-jetting myself;) and it is now set at 125,was at 122,honda never re-jetted when they installed the pipe:rolleyes: we also put in a new spark plug and took a reading, and now im really puzzled:confused: before changing the jetting,it was running a little lean,so now whith the chages, its running even leaner?? it went from a light tan in color, to WHITE! It sounds good, and the idle even sounds better to me,it has a more even idle to it..Whats a girl to do??:( now if I can get the plug a better reading ill be a happy girl for now:)

toby400ex
10-10-2002, 07:42 AM
well the last time min did that i had been working on something the day before and must have somehow touched a plug that goes to the spark plug and after cleaning out the carb and reconnecting all the tubes going to the airbox i finally found the plug was loose and it fixed the problem check that, if you arent sure what im talking about go to the little round theing in front of the engine with 2 plugs on top and the spark plug wire going out the bottom of it. It fixed mine after all the other work i did to try to fix the stupid thing.
:o

toby400ex
10-10-2002, 07:44 AM
ooops i guess you fixed it already sorry i just dont read enough:square

QuadJunkies
10-10-2002, 07:55 AM
toby300ex~~lol... hey did you read my post above about my plug reading??? any ideas for me??:confused: Im really stumped on this one..thanks:) Tina

QuadJunkies
10-10-2002, 10:08 AM
bump..:confused:

trueblue450
10-10-2002, 12:01 PM
I had the same prob.. with the yoshi.. You don't need to go up a jet size... I just changed the jet needle clip to the furthest to the bottom.. This enrichens it at the higher rpms... Let me tell you workin with the carb is frustrating. Its prolly in your signature but do you have the slip on or the full pipe.. the slip on doesnt need rejetting suposivly but I just changed the jet needle clip. don't mess with the jetting. I acually worked on it with the local mechanic.. Hope it helps

QuadJunkies
10-10-2002, 02:46 PM
300ex_man~~ thanks for your reply... I already changed the jetting from the 122, to a 125.I have a slip on,out 400ex has the full system,due to elevations here ,we were told to try it and see how it runs,otherwise I will do what you suggested,and move the needle,so moving this further to the bottom, will make it fatter?(richer) Thanks again...Tina;)

jwisniew
10-10-2002, 06:57 PM
I had the same problem and there some threads about this awhile ago. It could be a kink in the vent hose from the gas cap. Im not sure how i fixed it on mine. But after cleaning the carb up it hasnt done it since.

QuadJunkies
10-10-2002, 11:45 PM
WEll , I think for now anyhow, I may have fixed it...whew..:confused: lots to learn...I once again changed the jetting to a 127, new plug,and put a hole in the air box,and I got her to read a lot better on the plug.shes a little rich, but not much and she sounds preety good, LOT more pep,forwhatever reason..Im gonna ride the dunes on Sat.so ill let you all know how shes running:):)Ill be one happy girl if I dont have to tear it all apart again for awhile..Thanks for all your help and good suggestions, I knew I could count on you...:D ;)