PDA

View Full Version : Slow 250R buildup...Questions

fords4life
03-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Just picked up a bone stock 86 250R from my cousin. Just had it's second rebuild, the top and bottom end were gone through, and new tranny gears. It runs very well with 180 psi of compression. I run 91 octane with Maxima SuperM at 40:1. I am currently running a UNI with outerwears, no airbox lid, FMF Fatty Pipe, and Powercore2 Silencer w/Spark Arrestor screen. I run the dunes, trails, and baja style hardpack/soft combo. So far I have added an Armadillo skid plate and Pro Design Case Saver. My plans for the summer are to get the rear shock upgrade, new plastics, new rims and tires, and new lights.

I'm new to ATV's and 2-strokes, so I've been reading alot. One thing I haven't really found, is in regards to Reeds. Are these a normal wear item and if so, how often do they need to be replaced? Any advantages to a different cage without changing the carb?

The other question I have right now is in regards to the rear shock. Is it worth having the stocker re-valved and re-sprung or no? I don't race, it's all recreational riding, I'm starting to do a little jumping, but nothin to crazy as I've only got about 30 hours experience on a quad so far, but am starting to push the limits more and more as I get comfortable. I don't want to have to spend money twice, but I can't really afford to spend much more than 500 on the rear shock. Any suggestions?

I know the answer is probably no, but are there any cheap or free upgrades/mods that I can do myself that might help out performance? I haven't really found any yet, that I can do without having access to a mill/lathe/mig welder.

TheFontMaster
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I've heard of people replaceing reeds once a year, but they can last alot longer than that.

As far as the shock goes, a stock rear re-valve would work just fine for ya. That or maybe buy a works, or I belive Elka makes a recreational line of shocks, and they should be under or around 500 dollars.

As far as free power mods, well you took the air box lid off, I would run premium gas in it, 93 or 94. The only other thing you can do is make sure that your carb is jetted right.

fords4life
03-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I haven't had any problems with overheating or bogging and everything sounds ok as far as I can tell......It sounds like all the other two strokes I hear runnin around, that being said, I'm pretty sure the carb is jetted fine.

If I could get 93 or 94 around here, I would, but in Cali you can only get up to 91, unless you go to race fuel which is $10 a gallon. I'm going to check into AV gas prices still, just haven't had time.