PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Question

onesexyrider609
03-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Ok guys, this weekend I'm tearing my 400 apart to freshen it up for the spring and summer. I plan on a hard washing and waxing, but I also want to the clean the axle and frame. I'm also going to take off skid plates, clean them, and paint over where paint has been lost.

But, my questions are: What do you guys use to clean the metal such as axles and chainwheel? The engine will be gunk'd, but is there any kind of steel pad or something that you use? I'm going to be pressure washing it with a 1500 psi washer, and my dad is saying it will bust vacuum lines, is this possible? Idk if he was busting my balls or not

Pipeless416
03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
i prefer to use automotive simple green, greased lightning or other degreasers, wd40, and on impossible spots without seals or paint, brake parts cleaner works great. if you use anything on the axle to scrub it, like steel wool, you're going to have to keep up with the rust that will form unless you paint it.

onesexyrider609
03-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Hmmmmm...so for painted parts just a good powerwashing with soap mixed in? I don't have first hand experience with simple green other than using it on my bike for my brakes to grab better. Will using that leave somewhat of a shine, unlike gunk?