PDA

View Full Version : Removing the topend, need some tips

awsomeaussies
03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I've never done this before, so I'm looking for some tips on taking off my top end so I can send it to C&D for some boring:D I have a manual... but they make it seem more complicated then I think it is. lol What all am I going to have to remove?

Bill Fuller
03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Make sure motor is TDC.Remove all plastics and fuel tank.Remove cam chain tensioner.Loosen all bolts on top cap in criss cross pattern.Cap should just lift off.Remove 2 screws from cam chain gear.Remove gear,I always used a rag or zip ties to hold the cam chain(do not let it fall in the motor.Lift out cam,make sure if your ATV still has the decompressor to not let it fall in the motor.The pin is located under the cam and it has a spring also.Next remove all head bolts. With a rubber mallet or the handle end of a hammer lightly tap on the cylinder and lift/rock until it starts to raise. Before you lift it completely off stuff rags into the opening so you wont drop anything in the motor. Hope this helps and I hope I didn't leave any steps out. While you got the top end broke down might as well replace valve guides/seals.

awsomeaussies
03-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok thanks, that will help alot! Do I need to drain my oil? Or would it be fine?

Bill Fuller
03-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Drain the oil. Replace and flush if necessary when you rebuild. Gasket scrapings and dirt will get in the motor.The more careful you are the better.Inspect cam for "chatter" marks and also inspect the cam followers (rocker arms) for wear.

awsomeaussies
03-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I just got off one bolt off the cam chain sprocket... but how do you turn the chain in order to get the other bolt off? Do you just grab it and turn it? Because that didn't work for me. lol

400exrider720
03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Open the cover on the side where u set top dead center and there is a bolt in there you turn with a wrench counterclockwise. That turns the rod/piston and the cam chain/cam.

PismoLocal
03-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
I just got off one bolt off the cam chain sprocket... but how do you turn the chain in order to get the other bolt off? Do you just grab it and turn it? Because that didn't work for me. lol
Remove the cam chain tensioner. Its on the jug.

awsomeaussies
03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider720
Open the cover on the side where u set top dead center and there is a bolt in there you turn with a wrench counterclockwise. That turns the rod/piston and the cam chain/cam.

Right, I finally figured it out.:)

awsomeaussies
03-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I think I kinda have a problem. When I was taking off the cylinder bolts, near the clutch cable. One of them ended up breaking inside:( I haven't been able to take the cylinder off to get to the piston... I've been beating it with a mallet, but it doesn't seem to budge. Any ideas???

PismoLocal
03-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Dang that sux, do you know how to use a bolt extractor/ easy out.

awsomeaussies
03-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Dang that sux, do you know how to use a bolt extractor/ easy out.

I never have used one... but I guess I'll have to learn now:p Is there any other tricks to get the cylinder off???

DF400ex
03-28-2007, 12:59 PM
if your threads are still binding up and you cannot take the head off try drilling the broken bolt out. You have to be very careful. Use a bit just slightly smaller than your current bolt. Drill it out exactly straight down, and re tap the hole with the same size. This will remove the threads that are still left.

There is a big possibility of misdrilling with this, but if your head bolt broke then screw extractors probably will not work. Give it a try, but I would try the extractors first.

awsomeaussies
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DF400ex
if your threads are still binding up and you cannot take the head off try drilling the broken bolt out. You have to be very careful. Use a bit just slightly smaller than your current bolt. Drill it out exactly straight down, and re tap the hole with the same size. This will remove the threads that are still left.

There is a big possibility of misdrilling with this, but if your head bolt broke then screw extractors probably will not work. Give it a try, but I would try the extractors first.

The bolt broke right where the cylinder meets the bottom end... so I don't think it's really holding it on, I think it's just making it a little harder to shake loose. So I just need to drill with a slightly smaller bit and then take a new bolt and screw it in and then try to back it out? I just want to make sure... because I tried to do this once on my caliper and it didn't work so well:ermm: For me anyways. lol And I don't want mess anything up, ecspecially with the engine.

PismoLocal
03-28-2007, 04:35 PM
The bolt extractor is most likely going to be reverse threaded. So your giong to spin the extractor counter clockwise. It will bite into the hole you drilled and should start unscrewing the bolt. I have found that using some sort of lube (I use WD-40) makes a big difference as well.

awsomeaussies
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
The bolt extractor is most likely going to be reverse threaded. So your giong to spin the extractor counter clockwise. It will bite into the hole you drilled and should start unscrewing the bolt. I have found that using some sort of lube (I use WD-40) makes a big difference as well.

Thanks for all the info! I talked to a guy at my work(who's a fabricator) and he told me just to bring the quad in:D And told me he'll just use an extractor and if that doesn't work... there's some kind of putty they can put on it that will melt the steel right up:confused: But wont harm the aluminum on the engine at all:huh So that will save me the headache!