PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

WhiteYFZ
03-26-2007, 11:20 PM
i have 2 snapped bolts in my subframe for my airbox and 1 snapped bumper bolt. there all stuck in there. how hard is it to trill them out and re tap them. where can i get a tap kit thing.

Where can i find a place with good prices that sell bolt kits for the yfz. and will they come with the rubber things for the plastics? I only really need some bolts for the airbox and im missing some of the rubber things that go on the bolts for the plastics. U think there needed? Is it worth getting a full bolt kit?

thanks
espo

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 11:36 PM
How was it snapped off? Is the bolt siezed in there? Or is it loose but you can't get it out because you can't get a grip on it?

The only problem with drilling out a bolt is the fact that the bolt is most often made of hardened steel. It's very difficult to drill through, and it wears out drill bits rather quickly.

But it's still possible. Do a web search for Helicoil (start with this (http://www.roadstarmagazine.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=233) article) and learn about what they are. For a metric bolt, you probably need to specialty order a kit, not many places stock metric helicoil kits. They aren't dirt cheap, but any automotive shop should be able to order you a kit. I would recommend a complete "kit", with drill, tap, inserts, and insert tool. You might be able to save money on a kit without the drill bit (as long as you have the exact recommended size in your shop), but you certainly need the insert tool and probably the tap. Buying the inserts alone won't do you any good.

WhiteYFZ
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
there all snapped inside

1fst400
03-27-2007, 12:31 AM
When I did this I ended up cutting the nut out of the inside of my subframe and welding an american one in there.

Take it to a welding shop and it will take them 10 minutes. You may want to pick up some metric nuts it have put it.

Toadz400
03-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by 1fst400
When I did this I ended up cutting the nut out of the inside of my subframe and welding an american one in there.

Take it to a welding shop and it will take them 10 minutes. You may want to pick up some metric nuts it have put it.

How would that be done welding aluminum to steel? Unless you're running an aftermarket subframe of course.

1fst400
03-27-2007, 10:05 PM
he has a yfz which as far as I know has a steel subframe, so does my 400ex.

you could always buy an aluminum nut.

stalefish_132
03-28-2007, 01:47 AM
yfz's have aluminium subframes and no you can't go out and buy an aluminium nut. I'd say drill a small hole in the broken bolt(s) and buy a eazy out kit, tap the eazy out in and use plenty of penetrating oil (not WD-40) and hopfully you can get them out without wrecking the threads.

premiumtommy
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
i agree w/ stalefish

helicoils are for stripped threads. and if you're gonna buy a helicoil, you have to drill the bolt out anyways. so you might as well just try to drill the bolt out and not mess up the threads.

the trick w/ hardened steel is to drill a tiny hole and work your way up. the less cutting the easier it is to do.

54warrior
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
Maybe you can weld another bolt onto the existing bolt and use that to turn it out?

Might be too tight of clearance for that though?

bwamos
03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Try an ez-out yet? ;)

WhiteYFZ
03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Try an ez-out yet? ;)
whats that

Toadz400
04-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Maybe you can weld another bolt onto the existing bolt and use that to turn it out?

Might be too tight of clearance for that though?

That's a good idea. I might try that next time.

WhiteYFZ
04-04-2007, 08:19 AM
i got them out.. thanks guys

54warrior
04-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by WhiteYFZ
i got them out.. thanks guys

Just going to leave us hanging huh? No explanation of how/what method you used???

I guess I'll just have to imagine them magically self extracting themselves from your subframe.

WhiteYFZ
04-04-2007, 08:43 AM
lol. well the bumper one wasnt too bad. we just drilled it out and then tapped it to the next size. and my subframe was a pita. i ended up drilling out half the bolt and half of the freaking frame.. but i tapped it whole and its fine now.