PDA

View Full Version : axle locknut tightining

wanta450
03-26-2007, 07:13 PM
this may sound dumb at first but seems pretty logical is there a proper way to tighten a axle locknut as too setting preload on the bearings? like most bearings you tighten it up and and then back it off some to set the preload on the bearing. i am thinkin that all this time of making the locknut as tight as possible is actually making the bearings in the carrier wear out faster. can anyone help with this? thanks

03-26-2007, 08:05 PM
There is no preload like on a tapered wheel bearings. It is a sealed roller bearing with spacers and a collar in the middle. They all "stack up" tight. No preload. Just tighten it up really tight and use a lot of red loctite.

ISurvivedNMU
03-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
There is no preload like on a tapered wheel bearings. It is a sealed roller bearing with spacers and a collar in the middle. They all "stack up" tight. No preload. Just tighten it up really tight and use a lot of red loctite.

red locktite? That means you need heat to get it off?

I would think blue would be more than good...???

fastrider450r
03-27-2007, 06:35 AM
sweet thanks

JW450R1
03-27-2007, 07:01 AM
RED LOC-TITE is not what it used to be.take and brand new nut,and bolt put some loc-tite and let it dry.(a few days to be sure).Then take 2 wrenches and pull it apart.Years ago u would really had to cut the part off.u can also try heat to melt it too.

03-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by ISurvivedNMU
red locktite? That means you need heat to get it off?

I would think blue would be more than good...???

No heat required. Just a big pipe wrench, a cheater bar and some muscle.

wanta450
03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
ok thanks i just got to thinkin about it after doin it many times i never use locktite make em tight then wrap the whole nut in electrical tape it does wonders never had one come loose