PDA

View Full Version : Help cuts out when ever past half throttle

nicker71
03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a 05 that started cutting out at the first race this season. I think it was the muddiest race in the history of MHSC (XC racing). It started doing this toward the end of the race and I just assumed it was water in the airbox because most of the creek crossing were up to the tank. Ill just say many people didnt finish that one. I cleaned it and got it ready for the next race and everything was runnning fine. Ran great on the pratice lap and for the the first lap. But while in a open area on the second lap it started to cough and pop when ever it was past about half throttle or so. It would run just fine any thing under half, lucky for me most of the area was tight woods and I managed to keep it at lower RPMs and a higher gear. But at that same open area when I would try of open her up it would cut out much like it was starving for fuel. I broke down later that lap from something unrelated ( Bad Battery Broke it internally). Well the battery was under warrenty and I got a new one and cleaned it all up and took it out to the local ridding area to trouble shoot the problem. I ran it hard much like I would at a race and it never would cut out. Again a week later I went ridding with some friends and After a hour or two it did it again. I pulled over and started to investagate the problem. The first thing I did was check the fuel, 3/4 tank. ok I put it on reserve anyway to check the peacock valve. And it ran just fine for the rest of the day after putting it on reserve. Well today I drained the fuel and took the peacock valve out and the reserve was a little dirty but the ON position was fine. Then I took the carb off and looked at the jets and needle and didnt see any thing that might be clogging it. I cleaned the air filter and started it up and took it for a spin around my sub division and it started to cut out again at high rpms. I stopped and tried it in neutral for a second or two and it seemed fine. Im wondering if my TORS positon switch might be giving me problems. Maybe its out of adjustment just a little bit and it causes it to cut out sometimes?? I dont know of any other electrical switch that might give it problems?? I looked at the wireing and it looks ok. I dont know what else to do, any ideas???

At first it seemed like it only didnt this when it was warmed up and have been ridding it a while now after today it cut out some right away but not near as bad as it did at the races.
I think I might try to bypass the TORS switch.
open for any idea
thanks in advance

nicker71
03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Well today I went out to my parents farm and tried to trouble shoot the problem. I started off, and right away it would cut out some at the higher RPM. The first thing I did was adjust the fuel mixture screw because I didnt set it right from cleaning the carb out the other day. Ater that I did another run and I didnt notice any cutting out. I just assumed that the this was a fluke because I just turned the mixture screw a 1/2 turn. I went to the shed and unpluged the TORS and the TPS?? or thats what I think its called. To my suprise it started right up. I ran around the farm and gravel roads for the rest of the day and it ran just fine. I didnt think the motor would run with these unpluged. I was going to hook the wires together but just thought I would try starting the motor after unpluging the wires. Is this normal??

Here are the pics, this is how I ran all day long. I have owned this bike since new and dont understand why you would need to hook the wires together when it runs just fine without it. Forgot to add Have a honda throttle and I had the hooked the wires together that ran to the throttle, so maybe thats why it runs the same without the the stuff hooked up.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t27/nicker71/P3250787.jpg

exracer416
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
so did unplugging these things help my buddies is doing hte same thing

jshtex
06-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Well I would try it with the TPS plugged back in. While you can run with it unplugged it is basically telling your CDI that your at WOT all the time. And it is using a timing curve based on that. You could actually be loosing a little on the bottom end.

As for the TORS (the switch on the throttle) it is either on or off. And if it is malfunctioning it will run bad right off idle. We are running an ex throttle as well and our wires are just disconnected and not connected together.

At this point I am not sure if your still having the problem or not. So here are a couple of things I would check if it was me.

I didn't see if you said what year your bike was but if it is an 04/05 you might want to try to run with the lights on. I know you probably don't want them on for racing (we run XC too) but our bike will cut out at high RPM without them on. Unfortunatly that is a fairly common problem. If you find that it helps and you don't want to run the lights then get the resistor kit.

Since you mentioned the battery I would check this as well. About four inches up the main ground cable from the negative poll on the battery there is a smaller pig tail coming off. Follow it and you will find a connector just a few inches up the wire. If that wire is loose or disconnected you will have those kinds of symptoms.

One last thing, the neutral switch wire coming out of the case under the shifter. Our bike ran crappy once and I figured out that it was loose. I took the connector apart and tightened it up and the problem went away. It also caused the neutral light to not work all the time.

The first thing I thought of when reading this was that you had watter in the fuel or carb but it sounds like you checked that. IF nothing else helps you might check to make sure the vent line on the gas cap is clear. This usually takes a little longer to start affecting the way the quad runs though.

Oh well that is enough typing....