PDA

View Full Version : Questions about UNI air filters??

kolby2004
03-26-2007, 03:08 PM
I just bought a 2000 400ex for my girlfriend. It came with a uni air filter on it. I have not used a UNI before. Can someone explain to me how to clean a Uni filter and also what oil I need to use and how to use it. Thank you

kxaddicted
03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
ive used a uni on my kx w/ no problem. just remove the filter and wash it w/ soap and water and let dry then add oil, or K&N sells air filter oil and cleaner in a spray bottle form(which is really like an acid) that u can use. i do suggest wash and dry first.dry it overnight. have u checked the clutch yet?

kxaddicted
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
ive used a uni on my kx w/ no problem. just remove the filter and wash it w/ soap and water and let dry then add oil, or K&N sells air filter oil and cleaner in a spray bottle form(which is really like an acid) that u can use. i do suggest wash and dry first.dry it overnight. have u checked the clutch yet?K&N is not the only one, UNI sells one too w/ others. u can find thaem at ur local dealer.

Pipeless416
03-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kxaddicted
ive used a uni on my kx w/ no problem. just remove the filter and wash it w/ soap and water and let dry then add oil, or K&N sells air filter oil and cleaner in a spray bottle form(which is really like an acid) that u can use. i do suggest wash and dry first.dry it overnight. have u checked the clutch yet?K&N is not the only one, UNI sells one too w/ others. u can find thaem at ur local dealer.

what the heck does the clutch have to do with a UNI filter? anyway, a uni is just like a stock filter that breathes a little better. same steps to cleaning and oiling them.

WhtPrd09
03-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
what the heck does the clutch have to do with a UNI filter? anyway, a uni is just like a stock filter that breathes a little better. same steps to cleaning and oiling them.

pipeless416 is right. but the uni is like a sponge with water. so i wouldnt ride in the rain with a uni. but i put gas in a coffie can and soak in in that. yea gas can wear the filter out faster but its alot easier. and you dont have to worrie about water still being in the filter when u start it up.

kolby2004
03-26-2007, 06:03 PM
I am keeping the airbox lid on so we can go in the mud and not worry about it. This quad is for my girlfriend so im keeping it as close to stock and possible but it already came with the uni. So to clean it I should soak it in a can of gas? Then after its cleaned and dried out then I need to oil it right?! How do I do this? Im sorry but I have not used any kind of filter other than a k&n. Please let me know in detail what you do. Thanks a lot guys

NacsMXer
03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
You can soak it in gas to clean it, let it air dry or hit it with compressed air. You can also use a foam filter-specific cleaner but make sure it is for foam filters. Your local dealer should have a decent selection of filter cleaners/oils.

I've had good luck with PJ1 products on my UNI. I really like the foam filter oil, it is very tacky but doesn't attract excess dust like a thick layer of oil. Put the UNI in a plastic bag, spray the filter oil all over it and then massage it in with your hands to ensure even coverage.

http://www.bvm-moto.co.uk/images/accessories/oils/pj1airfilt.jpg

hornetgod13
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I use regular dish soap to clean my UNI filter. Once clean, squeeze all the water out and let it dry over night. I recommend using only UNI brand filter oil. It has a wide spray pattern and it's specifically made for UNI sponge filters.

flauge
03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
No-toil oil and cleaner works real good to me. Its real tacky and a lot easier to clean with their cleaner.