PDA

View Full Version : I have tired eveything to adjust my chain. please help 2001 300ex

Whitcher1928
03-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I have tried everything in every bulletin i have read and none of it works the thing with two groves does not budge with or without the bolts lossen i sprayed some lubricant on it and still no budge im no using a hex rench cause i dont have one but i have tried screw drivers and countless other things that fit in there. please help

Jgoad2
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Im not too sure if adjustment of the 300ex is the same as the 400ex. If it is make sure the bolts are loose on the back of the carrier. Try to pry the carrier open a little bit then take a screwdriver between your sprocket and set it in the adjustment and roll the bike forward. This will use the force of the sprocket and bike to push the adjustment tighter.

03-26-2007, 04:46 PM
it is possible that the adjuster is at it's limit...it the slots are more towards the back than the front, this is most likely the case. if so you will need a new chain and front and rear sprockets...

svahle
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
If they are anything like the 400ex or 250r, another problem could be that your carrier is rusted or seized to the swingarm housing. The carrier must rotate in the housing to move the axle back to tighten the chain. If it is rusted or seized, it will not rotate.

Like the above post says, check and see if it is adjusted all the way back. If you can loosen the chain, then it is not siezed as suggested above. But, it means you need to remove a link from the chain. However, if the chain is that worn, I would just replace it as it will likely break soon and you risk cracking the case when that happens. Also, check your sprockets as they are probably worn also.

Good luck.

esr250r86
03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I think the adjuster is at its limit. Get a new chain and set the adjuster all the way back from there that way you can adjust the slack on it. Good luck.

400exStar
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Im sure you have loosend all of the hex head bolts. There are 4 bolts on the very back of your swing arm that tighten down on the carrier. if these bolts are not loosened there is now way you can rotate. Im sure you have done this already but just in case.

jeremy_283
03-26-2007, 11:13 PM
if you took off the skid then pput the bolts back in the holes or have done anything where the skid mounts up you might have actually driven the skid plate bolts into the carrier..... not enough to damage anything.... just enough so that it isnt gunna turn

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Just to cover all bases, try what extremejrowe mentioned. Loosen your skidplate bolts to make sure you don't have anything holding it in place. I've never heard of this happening, but I can't say for certain that it's impossible, either.

Make sure all the allen bolts on the back of the swingarm are loose, really loose. You should be able to turn them by hand.

Even after all this, once everything is loose, it still won't be easy to turn, especially if this is the first time you have adjusted it. I have bent and broken many screwdrivers in my carrier.

Do you have access to a grinder or dremel? I can show you how to make a tool that makes it very easy to adjust your chain.

jeremy_283
03-26-2007, 11:47 PM
it happened to me......... now youve heard of it

wilkin250r
03-28-2007, 02:34 AM
I suppose I can post my tool here, it's not like it's rocket science or anything.

I got a prybar with a handle similar to this at my local hardware store for about $10.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objects_lg/18800/18751.JPG

I then modified it slightly as shown in the photo below.

The prybar is hardened steel, so it doesn't bend easily. I took a grinder and cut of the tip where it is too narrow. Just cutting the tip wasn't enough, though, because the taper of the end still caused it to wiggle, so I cut it a little further and took a little bit of the taper out of the front end to improve fit. I expected it to be easier, but I was surprised just HOW much easier it was. I have bent and broken many screwdrivers and allen wrenches, but this thing doesn't even come close to bending, and moves the carrier with ease.

You're obviously going to have to figure out the exact dimensions yourself, but this should give you a idea. Just remember that you can always cut more away if it doesn't fit, but if you cut or grind too much, it's difficult to put that metal back on.