PDA

View Full Version : remove swingarm bolt

skater1107
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
how do i get my swingarm bolt out of my 400 ex i can not get it out

Rancher2005
03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
I just did this two days ago and it worked out pretty well. First soak the bolt/bushings with PB Blaster or another sort of penetrating oil like wd-40 or liquid wrench. support the atv under the engine skid. Remove the aluminum nut at the end of the bolt on the left side of the engine. I went onto the 17mm side and just spun the bolt to help the pb blaster work. Replace the 22mm side or left side nut with a steel one. Thread it on only but not so far as the bolt sticks through. Use a heavy hammer or mallet to drive it through being careful not to damage the edge of the bolt. Do this until the bolt is flush with the motor. Next get 1/4" threaded steel rod (1 foot is plenty from home depot or lowes) and a nut to fit. Also get some 5/16" solid steel rod. Stick the 1/4" threaded rod with a nut flush to the end through the swingarm pivot bolt. Now use a hammer and punch to drive the nut/rod through as far as the punch will let you. It will take some solid blows to get it to move. When you can no longer reach with the punch, use the 5/16" steel rod to continue driving that 1/4" nut and ultimately the swingarm pivot bolt. Finally when the bolt flies out make sure you follow through with the 5/16" rod to help locate all of the holes for the motor, swingarm, and bushings. Be patient and allow the pb blaster to work. Just try and preserve the threads of the pivot bolt, that is why the threaded rod and nut combos are needed.(I've also heard to use a roll punch)

northwest Texas
03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I prefer a roll pin punch once the bolt starts through the frame.

He may need heat to break the bushings free from the bolt. Take a pair of good vise grips and hold them on the spacer between the frame and engine and try to turn the bolt. If the grips won't hold the spacer then he's most likely going to need heat.

HPIcamaross
04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
When he says " give it a good hit" DONT give it a full strength hit...cause you will be heading to the weld shop to fixed your cracked frame like me:mad:

hontr35
04-07-2007, 08:57 PM
I got lucky, no crack but a pretty gnarly dent! But it came out after a 1/2 hour of some serious hammering! First time in 7 years that its been out. All I know is that anti-sieze is on my shopping list along with a SS bolt.

00 400ex with alot of stuff

esr250r86
04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I tried getting mine off on my trx250r once. Wasnt happening.

hontr35
04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, we just about gave up and went with an air chisel. But after a brewski and some time to give the arm a rest we went back at it and wham it came out. But I sure wouldn't want to do that for a living!!!!

00 400ex
Janssen +2 +1 Mx tech arms
Janssen +1.25 swinger
Elka's all around w/rear link
Janssen +2 antivibe stem and clamp
Fasst Flexx Bars
Laker custom
CFM alum air box and oversize oil tank
Iron Rhino Rear brake disc
Rpm Dominator Axle +2 +4
Armor Tech Twin Row Carrier
Renthal Sprockets
Hiper Beadlocks all round
Razors (front,back)
Ims/roll offroad bumper
AC Blackline Propeg nerfs w/heel guards
AC Blackline Grabbar

still to come...Oversize gas tank and next winter motor mods!!!

400exrider707
04-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I torched mine out of my 450R, it wouldn't come out with heat/PB and a BFH all at once while spinning it with an impact. We had three people working on this at once. One person spinning it with the impact, one person applying heat, and the other whaling away with the BFH. Finally broke out the torch and cut her off.;)

hontr35
04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Ha, we did the exact same thing!! Except without the torch. We were not going to let that bolt get the best of us. You would think they would put a greaseable bolt in there right away, or something, instead of giving us all the trouble!!!

edfrench
04-24-2007, 09:20 AM
i know exactly how you guys feel i went through that a few months ago i wasnt going to let the bolt win so finaly i just cut it in half:D spent the 60 bucks and got my ss one. needless to say the bold wasnt happy:cool:

QIKLTR
04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
if u pull the bolt and grease it every couple of rides u guys wouldnt be having such a hard time.......if u buy a new quad this should be one of the first things you do