PDA

View Full Version : Keep BLOWING head gaskets PROS NEEDED quick

NOS EX300
10-07-2002, 05:39 PM
I keep blowing head gaskets. One was leaking oil in my 440 so i remove the head to find one of the studs were striped. So i bought a new stud. Put the new Wisco head gasket in warmed it up and test rode it. Let it cool then fired it back up and she was leakin already!!! What do you guys think this maybe from?
Who makes Wiscos head gaskets??

Any HELP would be GREAT!!!!!!

OCCRA288
10-07-2002, 05:51 PM
alot of the guys i've talked to with 440's and degree keys blow headgaskets, and guys w/o the degree key don't blow them.

NOS EX300
10-07-2002, 06:09 PM
So it maybe the timing advance that maybe putting too much pressur on the head gasket? What is the best head gasket to buy? Can you O-ring the head like they do with import high compression car? And thank you very much for the reply OCCRA288

RAPTORAZ
10-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Call Sparks Racing. They have a $25 dollar fix for your problem. It involves larger studs.

Mxbubs
10-07-2002, 09:20 PM
First, if you are running a asbestos fiber gasket, you need to switch to a metal gasket. Next thing, get the Sparks stud kit. You have I think 4 small 8mm bolts that also go thru the rocker are cover all the way thru the head and into the cylinder. They can and will strip easily, you cant put hardly any torque on them that you need, so you will need to get some keylocking inserts, not the cheap helicoil spring junk, drill and tap the holes out to whatever the inserts call for, and run them in FLUSH with your head, or they will not allow a seal. The best way to get them in is to run them in using a stud, screw the stud into the insert, when the insert bottoms out on the stud you can turn the insert on down to where you need it, and GENTLY tap the wedges in, and you will NEVER blow another or leak another head gasket as long as you both shall live. HEHE.

Here is a link to keylocking inserts. I recommend you do all your case bolts like this, You will eventually strip out those aluminum holes.

http://www.lafco.ca/english/inserts/

Oh yeah, one more thing, when drilling the hole out and retapping it, be careful, you only get ONE CHANCE to get it right.:D

NOS EX300
10-08-2002, 06:57 AM
Thanks again Mxbubs Lafco is 30 mins from my house i will look into getting some and hope it helps. Has anyone ever heard of ARP fastners. Do you think they will have some GOOD quaillty replacment studs for the 400ex if i call them with the sizes?

Also anyone with some insight on this problem please post some more good answers!!!!!

YZROOSTINYA
10-08-2002, 07:20 AM
are you running race fuel? maybe your getting detonation and its blowing your gaskets? the o ring wont work, i beleive it would have to be watercooled as the aircooled motor gets too hot.

what is your compression ratio?

NOS EX300
10-08-2002, 07:24 AM
when i say O-ring i mean have a circle machined into the cylinder and the head to the size of a metal O-ring (not rubber) this is what they do with forced induction motors and high compression honda racing motor for cars do you guys think this will work??? used with a headgasket!!! of cousre

NOS EX300
10-08-2002, 07:25 AM
Mxbubs whats sparks web address i went to the links page and that link doesnt work!!

Mxbubs
10-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Sparksracing.com

Remeber, if you buy some high quality studs, all threads on this bike are a 1.25 pitch, so be sure you get the right thread pitch.

OutlawEX
10-08-2002, 12:04 PM
Hey man mine was doing the same that urs is doing...Well so i found out that the threadsinside my cylinder kept on getting pulled out i tired everything, rethreading,heal coils and nothing worked,so ended up just buying a new jug and got all new studs and it woks great now...The new just was $212.95 from troy-honda

quadman21
10-08-2002, 01:34 PM
I done the same as outlaw to fix mine. I've had the head off many times since and still no leaking head gaskets.

RED121572
10-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Purchase new head bolts and studs. Ive been told and found out that head bolts do stretch over time.