PDA

View Full Version : mounting 300ex shocks on 250ex

02silverpile
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok,maybe i missed the memo about the 300ex shocks not fitting into the shock mounts of the 250ex. On the top, i can see ill need some washers, or a spacer. On the bottom the shock eye is too big. Are you all just bending the tabs alittle to make it fit?

BlasterEaten250
03-26-2007, 02:54 PM
You have to add washers for it to fit. I have 2 very small washers on each side of the mounts on both the top and bottom. You also have to drill the shock mounts from a 10 milimeter hole to a 12 milimeter hole, on both the top and bottom.

02silverpile
03-26-2007, 04:12 PM
How does your bottom eye bolt fit. My coller hits on the sides of the bracket. So either my collar is to long, ( because it does stick out a little), or my "guides" are too close, probably from me tightening them too much the first time. Do you have any pictures?

02silverpile
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Oh, maybe I forgot to mention, these are the Fronts.

hillclimbingrec
03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
are you talking about the front or rear shocks?

BlasterEaten250
03-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking about the rear shock, from what I hear the front shocks dont work on 250ex's, only recons:confused:

02silverpile
03-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I could of swore that the 300ex shocks will fit all around with washers. Does no one on here have that shock set-up. I thought there was because everyone says its the best "cheap" upgrade. If your not using the 300ex shocks, then what is everyone doing for budget shocks?

m.h.s.c.#527
03-27-2007, 07:33 AM
yea i had to bend mine out when installing my elkas the factory overtightens them

BlasterEaten250
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
On the 250ex, you can only do the rear shock swap. On the Recon, you can do all around. The mounts must be different.

02silverpile
03-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Heres my thought. I know the rear will bolt up just like every one says. On the front, the shock lengths are the same. So the geometry should not change through the shock stroke. The width is thinner on the top of the 300, so all you woul dhave to do is add washers. On the bottom, the shock mount is the same width, however the crush sleeve is wider then the stock mounts. So I can either mill down about .010 on the crush sleeve to make it a hair wider then the shock, or mill it a little more and make it just as wide. This is how the 250 shocks are, which made me scratch my head, as to how the crush sleeve/pivot point of the shocks. Now if you do this, and maybe bend the tabs just alittle they should fit as long as the tabs are bent enough to accomodate for the diameter of the new shock. These should be the same. No, im guessing by the results no one has done this. And I ask why??????? Is the ride worse than the stock non adjustable shocks, or does no one want to put that much effert into it.

BlasterEaten250
03-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by 02silverpile
No, im guessing by the results no one has done this. And I ask why??????? Is the ride worse than the stock non adjustable shocks, or does no one want to put that much effert into it. I don't want to make the shock mounts on the a-arm weaker by bending it, I already put enough stress on them as it is. Although now that I have the new back shock, my suspension is very unballanced. My back shock doesn't bottom out on any of the jumps I go off of, but my fronts will bottom if I go off a 2 foot ledge:ermm:

hillclimbingrec
03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
i THINK( i may be wrong) but i THINK i may be the only one on the forum with 300ex shocks..front and rear, from what honda tells me, 250ex, and recon a-arms are exact replicas, i DID have to bend the shock mounts on the top and bottom back a little bit, but i have had these shocks for about 6-8months, riding daily, jumping 20-30feet and flat landing(singles) and nothing.no hair line cracks, no noises,nothin. ALso, i had to jack the recon up, and move the a-arms down....to the fullest extent and set the shocks on the lowest preload, and they barley fit. but it worked, also, it WILL give you more clearence, and make your height a little bit taller,( recon/250ex shocks sag too much with rider weight) but the jumping, handling, and feel is worth it. Im 99.% sure it will work. Just gotta do some fab.

Nathan

02silverpile
03-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Ok, so it works. I inverted the shocks (upside down). I had to tweek the stock top mounts and add two washers to the lowers. The only thing that concerned me is that the springs are very close to the brake lines, so I bent the mounting tabs on the brake lines. The brakes lines have such a thick cover it should be fine if they do touch. Besides I will be using shock covers. It should work out ok. Ill try to post some pics for all who said it wouldn't work.

BlasterEaten250
03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Cool, glad to see someone tried it and it worked. I just remember people saying that it didn't work so that's just what I thought. Guess I shouldn't believe everything I read:p How much did you have to bend the tabs and how does it ride?

ALEXANDERJASON
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
PLEASE POST PICS!! I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO ADD 300EX SHOCKS TO MY 250EX. I KNEW THERE HAD TO BE A WAY SINCE I HEARD THEY FIT ON THE RECON, AND THEY AREN'T THAT MUCH DIFFERENT.

THANKS!!

Lonestar_R
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Here is a pic of my wifes 250EX...I have 300EX front shocks on it and the rear is a 400EX front. The 300EX fronts have to have the bottom mount on the shock machined to fit and then the top needs to have either washers or spacers made to take up the space. I just used grade 8 washers and it works great. They at least give you a little adjustment that the stockers don't.

Lonestar_R
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
and the rear

gel1197
05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Any chance of you posting a close up of the 300ex fronts shocks on your 250ex. My sons squeek like crazy and the ride bad. I might buy the 300ex's if they fit and work right....oh and don't squeek! thanks