PDA

View Full Version : open and closed kill switches

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Which one does what?

I need a kill swtich that has power going through it. Then when you pull the kill switch it diconnects the power.

Flynbryan19
03-26-2007, 09:24 AM
That would be a normally closed kill switch.

bwamos
03-26-2007, 10:43 AM
What he said.

Just visualize having 2 wires:

A normally open set you have 2 wires that are normally seperated and when actuated the wires touch making it a closed circuit.

A normally closed circuit the wires are touching until you pull them apart making it an open circuit.

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
are the pro designs closed? I know they have a ground wire.

I guess my main problem is how the hell do you look at a kill switch and determine if its closed or open>?

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the Pro Circuit kill switches are normally open. When the tether is pulled, it makes a connection to route the spark to ground instead of sending it to the spark plug (more or less).

There is no way to "look" at a switch to tell. If you want a simple test, get a multimeter with a continuity tester on it, and test your switch.

If you don't have a multimeter, I can tell you how to do it for about $1.29 and a few wires, but it's much easier with a multimeter.

Why do you need a normally closed kill switch anyways?

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm pretty sure the Pro Circuit kill switches are normally open. When the tether is pulled, it makes a connection to route the spark to ground instead of sending it to the spark plug (more or less).

There is no way to "look" at a switch to tell. If you want a simple test, get a multimeter with a continuity tester on it, and test your switch.

If you don't have a multimeter, I can tell you how to do it for about $1.29 and a few wires, but it's much easier with a multimeter.

Why do you need a normally closed kill switch anyways?

Because In order to wire up a kill swtich to my king quad I am going to have to wire it up into my stock kill switch. (the ride slider on the controls)

Now that I am thinking about it my stock swtich may be a open circuit. :confused: dang one thing to another. I might have just made this harder on my self by looking for a closed when I already have a open sitting in my garage..grrrrr lol.

I am going to take apart my kings stock kill switch and see if its open or closed. If its open then I will just snip the wires and use a tether kill swtich as my only kill swtich (back up for the key). If it is closed I will go buy a closed kill switch and just tap into it.

Hope I made since 300,000 things where going through my head as I typed:scary: :scary:

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Now that I am thinking about it my stock swtich may be a open circuit. :confused:

Most kill switches are normally open. In fact, I have never seen a quad or motorcycle with a normally closed kill switch.

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Most kill switches are normally open. In fact, I have never seen a quad or motorcycle with a normally closed kill switch.

Yup Your right I haven't ether......Dang all this crap for nothing:o I have a open sitting at home right now in the tool box.

I have a kill switch made for the EFI KQ at home but it is a Pain in the arse to install. this is so much easier.

firefighterjosh
09-25-2007, 01:05 AM

After all this time i just got around too it. It is a closed system and a pingle worked perfect

wilkin250r
09-25-2007, 01:35 AM
I hate stupid little projects that, for one reason or another, just take forever.

I'm working on a Yamaha Grizzly. I can't find a throttle for this thing to save my life. It's been two months, and I've only seen two of them on ebay, and I missed them both.

firefighterjosh
09-25-2007, 01:46 AM
is it a 660 or 700? try nyrocatv.com the for sale section at the bottom. Sometimes there is a totaled quad they are scraping out.

One of the Dirt wheels mags had a story on a few atv scrap yards with websites and phone #s but I cant find it. I must have taken it home from work.

svahle
09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
FYI - Cannondales use closed kill switches. I was going to recommend the pingle for a closed set up but it looks like you have already figured that out. I think maybe the reason we are now seeing closed kill switches has to do with the fuel injected models becoming more common. If you just kill the spark and the fuel injection continues to function you risk fouling plugs.

firefighterjosh
09-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I accually used my dads cannondale kill switch. It worked perfectly.

I could have used my pro design and hooked it up to the coil but like you said the fuel pump continues to run. So with the pingle I have no worries