PDA

View Full Version : How to stop blisters

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 01:31 AM
Last XC race only my left hand got blisters. Bad blister one was a huge blood blister. But my right hand didn't get any:confused:
Anyways what are some ways to cure this?

I have seen the kevlar under gloves. good idea but they bother me. Anyone ever tape there hands up kinda like a boxer does?

Maybe some of those circle band aids? I dunno maybe they just need to calice over but damn they hurt:p

BTW I poped them so it dosen't look as bad.

Ron89
03-26-2007, 01:35 AM
I used to get them a lot on my bmx bike. I just bought a softer grip and it helped a lot. The grip tends to flex a little when your hands move opposed to your skin just grinding against it. The band-aids helped also.

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Ron89
I used to get them a lot on my bmx bike. I just bought a softer grip and it helped a lot. The grip tends to flex a little when your hands move opposed to your skin just grinding against it. The band-aids helped also.

That makes me thing. OURY I belive makes some nice ones

Ron89
03-26-2007, 02:05 AM
I have odi grips on my bike and I love them since they are a little fatter and softer. It is also nice because there is no donut on the grip so the thumb throttle won't hit it. Here is a pic of what they look like...
http://www.blowsion.com/product/pwc/odi/odi_system_01.jpg
I also heard the new kevlar renthal grips are supposed to be a lot softer but dont take my word for it...I have never tried them. Those oury grips look nice too. Says Extra soft on the description of some of them.

UPDATE: I just looked on their site and they have atv and all sorts of other grips on there. Here is a link: http://www.odipowersports.com/ATV/ATV_RG_Str.htm Those oury lock grips use odi lock parts too. The two companies look very similar.

quad2xtreme
03-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Josh,

I used to get blisters just like...I would go to Breezewood for a 3 day trip and could barely ride the 2nd day sometimes. I posted once too and Pappy's brother Kevin told me about these kevlar glove liners...they even sold me some the next time I went to Breezewood. These glove liners are like magic. The glove liner sticks to your skin and lets the glove liner slip against your glove.

What is happening now is your skin gets a little sweaty and then sticks to the glove. Then all the movement is between your skin and your flesh thus causing blisters.

Oury does make a really soft ATV grip. I've always used these Oury grips so that isn't the difference.

Rocky Mountain sells glove liners...not sure if they are Kevlar. I've seen them listed on ebay...or get ahold of Pappy and order yourself about 4 pairs.

quad2xtreme
03-26-2007, 06:48 AM
link to ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-KEVLAR-Gloves-Work-Hunting-Fishing-No-Cut-1-SIZE_W0QQitemZ270101721248QQcategoryZ63910QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

These are exactly like what Kevin sold me.

400exrider707
03-26-2007, 08:18 AM
With my tag soft grips I do get blisters when I ride really hard, I switched back to my OURY grips and wha-la no more blisters!

STEVENJANNA
03-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Josh,

I used to get blisters just like...I would go to Breezewood for a 3 day trip and could barely ride the 2nd day sometimes. I posted once too and Pappy's brother Kevin told me about these kevlar glove liners...they even sold me some the next time I went to Breezewood. These glove liners are like magic. The glove liner sticks to your skin and lets the glove liner slip against your glove.

What is happening now is your skin gets a little sweaty and then sticks to the glove. Then all the movement is between your skin and your flesh thus causing blisters.

Oury does make a really soft ATV grip. I used that too but I always did so that isn't the difference.

Rocky Mountain sells glove liners...not sure if they are Kevlar. I've seen them listed on ebay...or get ahold of Pappy and order yourself about 4 pairs.
Kevlar glove liners are the way to go. I don't wear them when I race MX but when riding for hours on the trails they really help.

05Z400rdr
03-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I also have really bad blisters right now from riding really hard at Breezewood yesterday. They are huge and split open and all that good stuff. My friend told me that he used to get them and now that he rides at least 3 times a week, he doesnt get them anymore. also, i was thinking about getting softer grips, and another friend told me that you actually get blistered hands quicker on softer grips... idk...but my hands still kinda hurt. lol

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have used something simlar to those kevlar gloves and I hated how it felt. But I may try the ones you posted. Mine where brown. They accually hurt my hand worse.

I ussually don't get blisters too bad but I think racing the new ute has done me in:o

TWISTED DINLI
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
yea i have oury grips and i hardly ever get blisters.

quad2xtreme
03-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Thanks for the tips. I have used something simlar to those kevlar gloves and I hated how it felt. But I may try the ones you posted. Mine where brown. They accually hurt my hand worse.

I ussually don't get blisters too bad but I think racing the new ute has done me in:o

Sounds like you bought those cheap arse brown cotton ones at the hardware store. ;-) The kevlar is the way to go.

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Sounds like you bought those cheap arse brown cotton ones at the hardware store. ;-) The kevlar is the way to go.

no they wern't cotton ( I accually use those in the winter:p ) They looked like straw hat lol...Yes they where cheap lol Guess I get what I pay for:o

Les Davis
03-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I tried several different grips as well and the Oury grips were the only thing that helped with the blisters. Haven't got one blister since changing grips. Good Luck.

CRich[814]
03-26-2007, 10:07 PM
wear tighter gloves. i used to get them bad, then i bought gloves that fit better and it stopped.