PDA

View Full Version : Broken Collarbone. How long?

esr250r86
03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi, I broke my collarbone on my right shoulder and it has been 4 weeks and 1 day today, and I am just wondering if anyone on here has broken their collarbone, which im sure someone has, and how long you were out for until you started riding again. As of right now I can take my sling off and have my arm hang down and I can pick my arm up and barely touch my head. The doctor said I could return at six weeks and thats when I plan on going back. Please post any information you have. Thanks.

QuadJunkies
03-25-2007, 11:34 PM
that all depends..
My Husband broke his two years ago and still to this day it hurts.:(
Im sure it depends on where the break was.
My hubby broke his pretty bad and also had to have Cortizone shots in his shoulder as it FROZE up in the joint from keeping it from movement too long.
Ive seen him break alot of bones over the years but the collarbone has to be one of the worst for pain:scary:
Just be sure and make sure your 100% before going back out . I think 6 weeks IMO is pushing it abit

It took a month justto get my Husbnads arm out of a sling

mephyst
03-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah man, I mean your doc says 6 weeks but that's just a general statement. Everyone breaks and heals up different... My doctor says I can ride again because I broke my back, but I still don't feel as comfortable as I used to be. Not even close. It's sad. :(

firefighterjosh
03-26-2007, 12:20 AM
I boke the ball off my shoulder and had to have sugery. 2 weeks after surgery I was riding again. I was out a total of 4 weeks.

My friend brok ehis collor bone and he was riding 1 week after he broke it. :p He wasn't suppose too.

All I can say is do what the doc said, do your physical activitys he says to do and you will be to a speedy recovery!:D

esr250r86
03-26-2007, 12:28 AM
Thanks guys and girls. Yeah, It doesnt hurt that bad anymore, but I just dont want to rebreak it. I think I am going to wait seven weeks and see how I feel then.

QuadJunkies
03-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by esr250r86
Thanks guys and girls. Yeah, It doesnt hurt that bad anymore, but I just dont want to rebreak it. I think I am going to wait seven weeks and see how I feel then.
Good idea;)
Its better to be safe than sorry.
If you was to tweek it wrong,its probably still on themend and you could re- injure alot easier.

quad2xtreme
03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by esr250r86

The good news is it will be stronger than ever. You have the original bone healing up plus a whole new layer of bone wrapped around it.

Prey
03-26-2007, 12:03 PM
i broke my collar bone 4 months ago in 6 places, i had a ct scan of it earlier this month, its still in 3 pieces, ......

after talking with the doc, he said the bone is rounded off and not really in danger of coming through the skin or severing the artery that runs through your shoulder...

so about 2 weeks ago i started working out again, and i raced steele creek saturday (not very well though, my arms are still very weak)

then we will discuss surgery during the gncc summer break..... do i get the ironman award :blah:

JessetheKid
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
i shattered mine about 2 years ago on my quad and it took about 8 weeks i think but it still feels a lil funny to this day, expecially when i hit it on somethin

QuadJunkies
03-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Prey
i broke my collar bone 4 months ago in 6 places, i had a ct scan of it earlier this month, its still in 3 pieces, ......

after talking with the doc, he said the bone is rounded off and not really in danger of coming through the skin or severing the artery that runs through your shoulder...

so about 2 weeks ago i started working out again, and i raced steele creek saturday (not very well though, my arms are still very weak)

then we will discuss surgery during the gncc summer break..... do i get the ironman award :blah:
WEll I think you should!:blah:

mx428
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I waited 8 weeks just to be safe. I didn't feel 100% comfortable at 6.

esr250r86
03-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Prey

then we will discuss surgery during the gncc summer break..... do i get the ironman award :blah: You got my vote!

trx400EXtreme
03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
when i broke mine it took me like 8 weeks. the fact that i refused to go to the docter till 3 days after it happened might have had somthin to do with that, but i heeled up just fine.

400EXtreme
03-26-2007, 05:14 PM
From experience dont do anything until ur doc says its fine.

esr250r86
03-26-2007, 05:20 PM
It seems like everyone went back at 8 weeks. I really hope I can go back at 7 because that is when the itp quadcross race is at, but I am not going to rush it. Besides my arm is probably going to be weak as heck when I get back.