PDA

View Full Version : So whats your thoughts?

QuadJunkies
03-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Me and my Husband were talking about this today...

He trained all day yesterday and didnt tire at all,no arm pump.. no thumb pump,no fatigue what so ever......

But ,when he goes and races, he gets BOTH and hes been getting both BAD lately.:(

My guess is he is nervous,this causing some elevation in his pulse/heart rate ,maybe a little hyperventalating maybe or something to that effect?

I know when I used to race that my hands would start to tingle,go numb and cramp immediatly..my heart would race badly and I thought I might puke and pass out a few times..:p

Do you think this is what it could be for him ??
He is puzzled why hes doing this -this year so badly so I thought I might ask for some input from others.
He hasnt raced anything much this year, so I think he is going to be ultra nervous when WORCS comes to town in a few days.

Its easy to just say"RELAX" ....:p

esr250r86
03-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I also think it is the fact that he is wherever he is riding and he is not pressured to do something so he is more relaxed and not thinking about winning or something else, But when he gets to the track or race, he knows he needs to do something and thats maybe when he gets nervous and maybe does things differently then he would when he is not racing like grip the bars tighter or just not breathing right, only he would know. But yeah, it is hard to say just Relax. Good luck on it though.

orca0294
03-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by esr250r86
I also think it is the fact that he is wherever he is riding and he is not pressured to do something so he is more relaxed and not thinking about winning or something else, But when he gets to the track or race, he knows he needs to do something and thats maybe when he gets nervous and maybe does things differently then he would when he is not racing like grip the bars tighter or just not breathing right, only he would know. But yeah, it is hard to say just Relax. Good luck on it though.

basically what I was going to say .. you grab on tight in a race and your more pressured.

QuadJunkies
03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
But why would he not have this happen before as much?
I know MX is the worst for him on his hands cramping up and tiring out faster than Desert
Im going to check into getting him an easier clutch to pull sometime this week I think,that should help a little..

he did say he wishes he could get away not racing with gloves-he HATES them and does not blister as bad bare handed.

Maybe I should give him a muscle relaxer right before the race...:eek:

J/K:p

scruff_mcruff
03-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Me and my Husband were talking about this today...

He trained all day yesterday and didnt tire at all,no arm pump.. no thumb pump,no fatigue what so ever......

But ,when he goes and races, he gets BOTH and hes been getting both BAD lately.:(

My guess is he is nervous,this causing some elevation in his pulse/heart rate ,maybe a little hyperventalating maybe or something to that effect?

I know when I used to race that my hands would start to tingle,go numb and cramp immediatly..my heart would race badly and I thought I might puke and pass out a few times..:p

Do you think this is what it could be for him ??
He is puzzled why hes doing this -this year so badly so I thought I might ask for some input from others.
He hasnt raced anything much this year, so I think he is going to be ultra nervous when WORCS comes to town in a few days.

Its easy to just say"RELAX" ....:p

same thing happens to me. i can practice on a mx track for an hr at a time with few ill effects. but in a 5 lap race im done by the 4th. i credit it mostly to breathing or lack there of, definetly much more relaxed at practice. i dont think its nervousness i think its tension that causes the irregular breathing. thats why the pros are pros and the rest of us are hobbyists.

Villageidiott23
03-26-2007, 09:54 AM
simple fix. b4 the race lettem chill with an O2 mask on for about 10 or 15 min. your right on with the nervous and hyper vent. muscle fatique starts when there isnt enough O2 in your blood starving ur muscles and they get tired. IE improper breathing.

QuadJunkies
03-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Villageidiott23
simple fix. b4 the race lettem chill with an O2 mask on for about 10 or 15 min. your right on with the nervous and hyper vent. muscle fatique starts when there isnt enough O2 in your blood starving ur muscles and they get tired. IE improper breathing.
So that would mean I would have to take a tank of Oxy with us?
LOL
Too bad they didint make oxygenated helmets!:cool:

AtvMxRider
03-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Thats a whole lot of thinking for a blonde:ermm:

Villageidiott23
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah, or you could take a tank of nitrous. and get a good laugh.

quad2xtreme
03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't race but I suffer from arm pump even when riding on a track...2 aspirin or Excedrin 30 minutes before I go out works miracles for me.

JRP
03-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Thats a whole lot of thinking for a blonde:ermm:

LMFAO!!!! its weird for me, when i practice at my house, i get pumped up, but at a race, i dont get pumped up at all:confused:

Rootar
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
maybe instead of practicing say by himself maybe he needs to practice with a buddy thats the same speed and run wheel to wheel and actually race each other the mroe comfortable he can be with pressure the better he is gonna ride, i can practice allday by myself and not make a mistake yet i ride even better with competition it makes you ride better yet last shorter so maybe if he can get really comfartble being pressured reguraly while practicing racing will feel more like practice.

its worth a try at least, it works for me and yes 2 asprin will do wonders for a quick fix but he needs to learn to let lose and ride lose and he'll ride faster

wilkin250r
03-26-2007, 09:57 PM
It's probably his riding style. I doubt he trains the same way he races, even if he THINKS he does. With his adrenaline pumping, and other racers to navigate, he probably grips a lot harder during a race than he does when he's training.

Plus, you said "He hasn't raced anything much this year", which is only going to make the problem worse. If he was racing frequently, then he will be gripping the same way more frequently, and thus naturally building up strength and tolerance in those muscles, because he will be using his "race grip" more often. But as it is, he's not racing much, so those muscles aren't getting many workouts. Thus, when he DOES race, he works those muscles much more than they are accustomed to. That's probably why it is worse this year than any other.

Just a theory. I don't have a solution. Sure, it's easy to say "Just ride and grip like you were racing", but actually putting it into effect is incredibly difficult, almost impossible, because you have to trick your brain into THINKING it's a race situation, and release the adrenaline that causes it all.

QuadJunkies
03-27-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks everyone . All great analysis.

Ill have him read thr topic and see what he thinks .:)e