PDA

View Full Version : Please help with front end setup.

NeedsaYfz
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on putting together a decent front end on my 2001 400ex. This is what it already has as far as engine/drive mods go.

-white brothers E series pipe
-k&N air filter
-hotcams camshaft
-hotrods piston rod
-wyseco piston
-rebel gears
-Big Gun CDI box
-K&K master cylinder cover
-renthall chain
-+2+2 durablue rear axle
-RAD bearings and case

The power is there but the suspension and handling is lacking. What would you guys recommend for somebody that wants to spend $500 (+/-). 75% of the riding that I do is on trails, but there's also alot of open farm land here and I try to get to a track a couple times a month.

I know $500 won't get me far, but it should get me going in the right direction.

Do you think I should just go with extended a-arms? Or would I be better off buying new shocks for up front? As it sits right now the rear end is alot wider than the front.

Also, would somebody please explain to me the difference between standard and long travel. Long travel would be better for trail riding wouldn't it?

Thanks

mod440ex
03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
get you a set of 450r shocks, they work great and not real expensive. I got mine off ebay for 200. if you decide to go with wider a-arms later you can still use them. long travel is better for everything, it will make for alot smoother ride but your going to drop alot more than 500. you would probably be looking at around 1500-2000 for a good setup.

NeedsaYfz
03-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the input. So the 450r shocks will mount right up to the stock brackets? That's the route I will probably go and worry about a-arms later.

eliasxr400
03-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I just put a new front end on my 05' EX. It cost around $1400. A little over budget. I went with Houser +2" Arms and works Steelers w/o reezies. The reezies can be added later for like $260 if I feel I need them. That price includes 3.5" extended hubs and a rear shock rebuild and re-spring from C&D Racing. Just Works Shocks and a rear rebuild would proubly be around $700.

This set up is great!

There may be better set ups out there, but not for this cheap. You can also go with Elka shocks for around the same price. Rebuilt 450 shocks should also cost around the same if you can wait for a deal. I couldn't find any for under $300 and didn't want to wait.

I had my first ride on them this weekend and loved it. I can hit jumps and not bottom out that I wouldn't even atempt before. The stability was 100% better with the plus 2". The width didnt slow me down much in the woods either. It handles better IMO than my buddies stock 450 Quadracer. I was in front of stock 450's all day on backyard MX tracks. I do not race often so I can't say how they will hold up but am very happy.

P.S. thanks to Colby at C&D Racing

northwest Texas
03-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Find a used set of +2 or +3 arms on ebay or here in the for sale section. The +2's will set your front at 48" and the +3's will make it 50" wide which should be the same as your rear axle. (those widths are with stock front wheels, aftermarket 3/2's will make it wider FYI)

I got some Works G Series (better than the Steelers) from Colby for less than $500 (quite a bit less actually) for my bro-in-laws Z400, which are what I have on my 400EX.

The wider front end will make a huge difference in how your quad handles (way for the better) and you will kick yourself in the butt for not doing it sooner. Guaranteed.

NeedsaYfz
03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

If I do buy +2 or +3 a-arms I will also have to buy new tierods and shocks, right? Or will the stockers fit? What about brake lines?

I'm not new to quads but I am new to customizing/modding them as you can see. I'm more at home with my snowmobile (which is for sale by the way).

ingleful
03-27-2007, 02:57 PM
i had houser + 2 with works triple rates on my 400

eliasxr400
03-27-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by NeedsaYfz
Thanks for the help guys.

If I do buy +2 or +3 a-arms I will also have to buy new tierods and shocks, right? Or will the stockers fit? What about brake lines?

I'm not new to quads but I am new to customizing/modding them as you can see. I'm more at home with my snowmobile (which is for sale by the way).

My plus 2's came with tierods and the stock brake lines worked fine. I think you will need new shocks or at least stiffer springs for +2 arms.

johnsls
03-28-2007, 07:51 AM
If you get the +2 arms you will still be able to use a set of 450R shocks. The shocks are rebuildable so with those you will be fine.

You probally won't need them rebuilt anytime soon unless you start racing a lot.