highest HP ive seen out of a 4 stroke quad in a while

400exrider707
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
How about some specs?? At least give us a pic of it!!!:devil:

witech
04-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
How about some specs?? At least give us a pic of it!!!:devil:

This is the Saint Anthonies Special. Named for the baddest dunes in this hemisphere where its all about power to climb them. Originally built for less than $1000 total and parts donations from Cannondalers across the country .
I ported the head . Its running a Timbomoose custom stroker crank. Wiseco 13/1 piston,bored throttle body,cyclone intake,stock moto exhaust,stock valves,stock cams ,stock valve springs , harley davidson fuel injectors . It was pulling 57hp before the juice was hit. :D
Ive got about $1500 bucks into it now with the nitrous kit.

I think if I get my new high lift cams in it, a custom exhaust . oxygenated fuel and up the dose on the nitrous I am confident 75 will happen and 80 is not out of the question. Weather or not it holds together at those power levels is another story .

witech
04-03-2007, 11:34 PM
its getting lengthened another 4 inches

sandmanblue
04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Nitrous Oxide will do wonders... I love the stuff...

Can you post the 57 hp runs without the N2O?

ohsobad_chevy
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue

OWNED!!! :p

250r4life
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM

you just barely got your 477, and now youre going up even higher sandman?

lol

witech
04-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Here you go. How big a bottle do you run? I did about a 6 runs at a 12 hp shot and it hung around 67-68 then jetted for a 16 hp shot to get to 70. Of course the jetting is a ballpark figure the jetting program came up with. I think there is much more to be had if we lean out the gas a little but since this was a test sesion to see if the system worked I ran rich to keep the piston from melting. All the runs we did used about a pound out of the bottle so I think one fill should be good for a day at the drag races.

04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
i thought it was 70hp on just the motor...nevermind im not impressed. Good looking C dale tho

witech
04-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
i thought it was 70hp on just the motor...nevermind im not impressed. Good looking C dale tho

Although the world record was 62 on Animals 505 motor I dont think this 470 engine will have what it takes to get above 60 without a CP piston and an aftermarket exhaust. Its just to wore out. I believe when I get my 505 engine done 65hp naturally aspirated and 80+ on the juice will happen if somebody else doesnt beat me to it.
Here's the torque chart. The break in the line at 9000 is where the tires lost traction on the rollers.

04-06-2007, 06:46 AM
world record is 62? thats pretty weak

400EXTRA
04-06-2007, 02:33 PM
those things are so ugly

2000ex
04-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
world record is 62? thats pretty weak

Weak?

Originally built for less than $1000 total and parts donations from Cannondalers across the country .
I ported the head . Its running a Timbomoose custom stroker crank. Wiseco 13/1 piston,bored throttle body,cyclone intake,stock moto exhaust,stock valves,stock cams ,stock valve springs , harley davidson fuel injectors . It was pulling 57hp before the juice was hit.

You find me a 450R, YFZ, LTR or any 4 stroke for that kind of money that will put down 57hp on stock cams, valves, springs.

04-07-2007, 08:23 AM
yeah 62 hp isnt too much. But i guess i am just used to 2 stroke numbers...

nataliesrjohn
04-10-2007, 10:15 AM
first of all you didnt actually build the bike for 1000 dollars. Take away the donations and add labor and your up to 3000 easy. New crank, piston, bored throttle body, fuel injectors, gaskets, case split, time, all add up to money for anyone not donated the parts. If you think about it I got my h.p. for nothing. everything was given to me. but most people are not that lucky. My trx 450 is making between 58 and 60 horsepower depending on the run and weather. thats with port job, cam, stock valves, aftermarket carb and good fuel. Everything a.m.a. legal. running around 36to 37 pounds of torqe. All on 450 cc. cannondales are good running bikes as long as they are done right. yours looks great. nice work.

soilworker
04-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Not exactly true on the high dollar amount. Most C'Dale parts are pretty cheap. You can stroke the crank for only a few hundred, new piston/cylinder if stock for around a hundred or more if you wanna go bigger of course. Porting is not costly either at under $400 I believe for the throttle body, head, etc. You don't split the case either. Cassette setup on it. All in all you can build a pro caliber 450cc engine w/everything done on it w/the best parts for around a grand. Not too bad. Or you can go as high as 505cc for like $500 more.

Not to mention that most people are using the stock pipes for this power. How many people can say that they used a stock pipe on a high power engine? So that's a few hundred saved there, plus no aftermarket carb so more saved, plus no need to buy things like ti valves and springs either, or aftermarket cams for that matter. You could probably buy 3 cheap C'Dales, build the engines/quads to ultimate 450 class racers and still be at a cost less than one full blown Japanese quad. Sad but true.

witech
04-13-2007, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by nataliesrjohn
first of all you didnt actually build the bike for 1000 dollars. Take away the donations and add labor and your up to 3000 easy. New crank, piston, bored throttle body, fuel injectors, gaskets, case split, time, all add up to money for anyone not donated the parts. If you think about it I got my h.p. for nothing. everything was given to me. but most people are not that lucky. My trx 450 is making between 58 and 60 horsepower depending on the run and weather. thats with port job, cam, stock valves, aftermarket carb and good fuel. Everything a.m.a. legal. running around 36to 37 pounds of torqe. All on 450 cc. cannondales are good running bikes as long as they are done right. yours looks great. nice work.

Actually the only "new" parts on the whole quad were the harley injectors the fmf can ,Glamis seat and the nitrous . That was about $1000. The rest was powdercoating and oil. The the only "new" parts on the engine was the rings,crank bearings ,crank pin ,and side cover gasket. The crank was a prototype Timbomoose whipped up to see if it would work. The piston was used 450 one that went through a crank failure . I picked the steel chips out of it and we found a used sleeve that fit nice and tight. Then it was shaved to get 13/1 compresion. The intake is a stock throttle body bored out on my lathe and a custom velocity stack we whipped up as well. Cannondale engines dont need to be split,the crank comes out the side without puling the tranny. They use orings everywhere which can be reused. The engine was built by me with about 40 hours labor(20 hours of porting ). The rest of the parts were all used stock. The chassis was assembled by Tony Shilt in about a day. Cannondale said the engine was maxed out at 40hp stock so everything we do is always uncharted territory. Theres no way Im spending thousands of dollars in new parts when there is a good chance Im going to be the first to find the engine destroying weak point.LOL
As far as how much it costs to power out of a Dale this is a case where money spent does not readily translate into results. I got a 432 to 51 hp using 100 percent stock parts. And 56 hp out of a 460 motor with just a piston kit. For someone buy those engines would be between $1500 and $2000. Thats a heck of a good bang for the buck. To get into the high 50's and 60's special parts are needed and those engines will cost almost as much as a japanese equvalent due to the need to use more aftermarket parts. Now that the 450r'and yfz's are coming with almost 45hp stock we are going have to do more than just port the head on a 432 to beat a piped one. Which is why there has been so much interest lately in custom cams ,cam timing ,fuel mapping,and a replacement exhaust that can outperform the stocker. The latest dyno results have been promising as a 450 has made it to 58hp just last week.

sandmanblue
05-11-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm not knocking the numbers. Anyone getting into the mid 50's without juice is making good power. Originally, I though this was without any power adders...

I haven't and will not run nitrous on my new motor. Didn't run it before either.

I'm sure it's fast. It's also orange. Fast Orange - isn't that a hand cleaner? :)

400EXTRA
05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Man thats alot of power

witech
05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Ya its a bit absurd . New news is Happyboy has defeated the record with his 495 engine. I believe it is at 72hp. Im confident I can beat that with this engine but when I get my 505 I will be shooting for 80. I am also confident that the structural integrity of the engine will be found because Im going all the way on the nitrous until it wont make any more power or the parts give way. We will also have to figure out a better tiedown setup to keep the tires from spinning so muchon the rollers. Its all in fun.:D