PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle bearing, Is my carrier ok?

supaboy105
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
I got a quick question, i just got my 2000 400ex a few weeks ago, i knew i was fixin to have to change my rear bearing because of the small axle slack. Well the other day i was riding and i heard a nosie so i went home and put it up on jack stands. When i rolled the wheels i could feel the axle kinda grabbing, the swingarm was hot too. But its not locked up thank god. My main concern is DO YOU THINK MY CARRIER IS OK, the axle slack didnt increase at all, it just makes a squeal nosie and grabs at times. Im definetly not riding it until i get the new bearing in.

JDMThoughts
03-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I have the same year 400 and just went through this myself. I heard a noise and thought it was my steering stabilizer was loose but the noise persisted. It turns out the rear on my quad is shot. Carrier, bearings and hubs. Axle is good though. If I were you I would upgrade to a dual row carrier since the stock offering isn't too great. The bearings will wear out fast if you ride in a lot of sand or muddy conditions. Chances are that the bearings probably have never been changed. If you do a lot of jumping and whatnot, upgrading some of the other things might be a good idea. It all depends on how much money you have to spend. At the very least go with a upgraded carrier and new bearings.

mystery fan
03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
I have an 2001 400ex and recently had the same problem. I changed out the bearing carrier to a dual row with a radloc nut. As best as I could tell, the stock lock nut backed off some and made the axle loose.

If you can spare a few extra dollars, do it right.

supaboy105
03-25-2007, 07:16 PM
thanks, my only problem is cash, thats why i was askin if it be ok to go back with stock for the time being. i dont ride in sand or mud most of the time.

mystery fan
03-25-2007, 07:39 PM
I found that an aftermarket dual row bearings carrier cost less than stock Honda replacement.

CGriff
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
I have an 03 400ex and have changed my rear axle bearings every season.. f you plan on stay with a stock rearend this is unavoidable. Its simple you have a 4 foot axle that is stabalized by a 6 inch carrior, when you have one wheel on the ground in the rear the ammount of stress that is put on those bearings is unbelievable. Pulling out the axle and changing the bearings is a simmple task, my bearings cost me 32 dollars.

supaboy105
03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
thanks, yea im 17 and in school so its easier to fork out 50 bucks instead of 200, im just waitin on the bearings to come in now, so hopefully ill tear into this week and get it done.